[Solved] Importing number from website

Discuss the spreadsheet application
osesteven

[Solved] Importing number from website

Post by osesteven »

I have a spreadsheet that uses some basic functions to make some calculations for a bunch of users.

The spreadsheet uses daily prices of silver. I'm trying to see if its possible to import the morning silver price from a website into that spreadsheet, every-time the user opens the spreadsheet. Then use that number to adjust for our calculations.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on windows 11
MrProgrammer

Re: Importing number from website

Post by MrProgrammer »

osesteven wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:27 pm I'm trying to see if its possible to import the morning silver price from a website into that spreadsheet, every-time the user opens the spreadsheet.
That will depend on the website. Read about Linking to external data in Calc Guide: Chapter 10 Linking Calc Data. If the website you're currently using to find the morning silver price doesn't support a connection with Calc, perhaps you can find a different website which does. Experience on this forum with importing financial data from a website is not likely to be stable in the long term, as any website may change its structure without warning, and that change can cause the link to break. A spreadsheet with a link to external data on a website may take a long time to open, depending on internet connection speed and on how quickly the website responds, factors which you do not control.

If the "bunch of users" are people in an organization, a more robust process would be to assign someone to determine the price each day and enter it in a spreadsheet (or text file) which all of you can access. Then your spreadsheet, and others, can copy the price for analysis. I realize this is not the automatic process you'd like, but a person will be able to tolerate changes to the financial website and get the correct price. Calc has no "artificial intelligence" capability and can easily fail to find the price, with minor (or even invisible) changes to the web page.

Get Latest Price Quote using stock symbol (e.g. VFIAX)
[Solved] Pull stock price from Internet
[Solved] Stock Market Functions LO Calc Extension

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
osesteven

Re: Importing number from website

Post by osesteven »

Thanks for the detailed reply. That gives me some ideas on where to head.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on windows 11