[Solved] More line spacing

Discuss the word processor
DonD22

[Solved] More line spacing

Post by DonD22 »

Apache Open Office Writer
Windows 10
HP Pavilion Laptop

For reasons I cannot comprehend or cure, Writer will occasionally and randomly add 1.5 line spacing between lines, show it as single in the menu, and I have not been able to correct it with any tool or method known. The text I have typed makes it look like it is doing it here, but I ma be mistaken. What's your read on it?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.1 on Windows Vista
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: More line spacing

Post by JeJe »

Is it a change of paragraph style? If you click the format menu/ Paragraph/ indents and spacing tab
is there any before spacing?
Or after spacing of the previous paragraph?
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DonD22 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:32 pm For reasons I cannot comprehend or cure, Writer will occasionally and randomly add 1.5 line spacing between lines, show it as single in the menu, and I have not been able to correct it with any tool or method known. The text I have typed makes it look like it is doing it here, but I ma be mistaken. What's your read on it?
If it's happening here, then it doesn't sound like an OpenOffice problem, but I can't even guess why it would happen randomly here and in OpenOffice. Please upload a sample document with the problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did you copy in the text which has a 1.5x line spacing? or a gap below paragraph?

1. Highlight all text
2. Format > Paragraph > Indents and spacing. Set it to what you want.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Likely suspects

Happening more or less regularly in Writer, and not elsewhere?
  • Line/paragraph spacing issue, as per advice from John_ha, and also JeJe's comment
Happening randomly in Writer and not elsewhere?
  • Using oversize characters, a font with unusually tall ascenders/descenders, or graphics anchored "as character".
    This can happen if you use characters not available in the selected font, and the character sizes are different in the automatically selected replacement font.
Happening randomly in several apps?
  • Graphics drivers need updating.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Is any of it not in native OpenOffice Writer .odt format? The document itself, or the original source for parts of the text? Strange things can sometimes happen if not.
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

Apache Open Office Writer
file extension .odt
Windows 10
HP Pavilion Laptop

Writer occasionally and randomly inserts 1.5 line spacing which I can neither explain nor fix. Lines 1 through 8 below were taken from the affected lines in the document.
Highlighting the affected text, going into the context menu, selecting a larger size, the line spacing remains relative. Changing the size of the text has no effect. Any combination of the two has no effect.

The lines below were cut from my document and pasted here. There are other instances in my document where this has haooened; it is not an isolated occurence. This is just more information hoping it will be pertinent and helpful.

Line 1. Single line spacing.
Line 2. Single line spacing.
Line 3.1.5 line spacing before.
Line 4.1.5 line spacing before.
Line 5.1.5 line spacing before.
Line 6.1.5 line spacing before.
Line 7.1.5 line spacing before.
Line 8. Single line spacing.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If you post a simple document as an attachment here with the problem - and without any sensitive information in it - then people can look directly at the problem.
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

Have tried all suggestions. And I thank you each.
Going into Paragraph from the task line or the context menu, changing from single to double does change the spacing but the relative spacing remains the same.
Is this a recognized anomaly in Writer?
Format>Paragraph shows everything as it should be, changes made as requested, but the relative spacing is the same in all settings. ??
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Please post a sample document showing the problem. It is very difficult to analyze such a problem without an example to look at. To post a document, click Post Reply and look for the Attachments tab just below the box where you type a response. The document only needs to have enough content to show the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:03 pm The lines below were cut from my document and pasted here.
Cutting from the document and pasting here is a waste of time. It's impossible to tell if all eight lines are in one paragraph or if there are eight one-line paragraphs. You need to upload a sample document so the formatting in the document can be analyzed.
DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:32 pm Format>Paragraph shows everything as it should be...
What is "everything"? You mentioned "line spacing" but not "paragraph spacing". Are you assuming this is a line spacing problem and not checking the paragraph spacing?
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

“Everything” in the Format>Paragraph, Indent, Before text is zero, After text is zero, First line is zero, Automatic is not checked. Spacing Above paragraph and Below paragraph are both blank. Line spacing is Single, the box to the right is blank. Register-true is not checked and checking it changes nothing.
All eight lines are in the same paragraph.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Bill wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 pm You need to upload a sample document so the formatting in the document can be analyzed.
FJCC wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 pm Please post a sample document showing the problem. It is very difficult to analyze such a problem without an example to look at.
JeJe wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:12 pm If you post a simple document as an attachment here with the problem - and without any sensitive information in it - then people can look directly at the problem.
Bill wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:52 am Please upload a sample document with the problem.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:20 pm Spacing Above paragraph and Below paragraph are both blank.
That means you have selected more than one paragraph and they have different settings. Upload a sample document.

Are you pressing Enter at the end of each line?
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

The document and contents are too sensitive to share. I thank you all for your interest and advice, but rather than share the document I will live with the problem.
One final question; am I the only one to experience this?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:00 pm The document and contents are too sensitive to share.
Create a new document with random text (no sensitive information) and upload that document.
DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:00 pm One final question; am I the only one to experience this?
Maybe. I've never experienced it.
Bill wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:52 pm
DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:20 pm Spacing Above paragraph and Below paragraph are both blank.
That means you have selected more than one paragraph and they have different settings. Upload a sample document.

Are you pressing Enter at the end of each line?
Did you miss this post?
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

Here is a generic document that I THINK demonstrates the anomaly. Maybe not.

First Paragraph;aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbccccccccccccccccccccccccccdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
Gggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppppppqqqqqqqqr.
Sssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttuuuuuuuuuuuv.
Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzzz.
End of test. Can you tell anything from it? I hit enter after each sentence. It looks to me like there is extra space between the lines of ffffffffff and gggggggg.
Could be a contributor or not, but when trying with the backspace key to get”Paragraph” back up to”First” and put a space between them, the result is what you see. Weird!
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

This example text is more representative of what my text looks like:

Aaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbb, ccccc ddddd eeeeee Ffffffff GGGGGGGGGG!
Hhhhhh iiiiiiii jjjjjjj, Kkkkkkk Llllll, MMMMM, lower case, etc.
All one paragraph, hit period and enter after each sentence, nnnnnnnnnnn ooooooooooooo, pppppppp, qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq, rrrrrrrrrrr sssssss tttttttttttttttttt and uuuuuuu!
As far as I can tell it has not duplicated the problem.
The line of Qs after the line of Ps did not get an enter keystroke. Is there extra space between the “All one...” line and the one below it?

Well, it doesn't display here like on my screen, and printer, mine breaks the line after the Ps and after the "All one..." and I see this breaks without a keystroke between the S and the T.

Hope this helps.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Here is a screenshot of your last post for me - nothing wierd about the lines.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

DonD22 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:08 pm Hope this helps.
Create a new document. Paste in a couple of the lines that recreate the problem... like you're posting here. Then post it.

You've been told multiple times by multiple people.
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

You guys haven’ given up; I can stay hooked as long as you can.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

I'm giving up. We've got nowhere in a day and 12 posts - because you won't post a document. If you did someone might solve it in 2 minutes.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's not possible to say anything about the spacing of the text pasted on the forum. The "extra space" between lines "ffff..." and "gggg..." is an illusion caused by the ascenders on "ffff..." and the descenders on "gggg...".

Hitting Enter starts a new paragraph, so each of your sentences is one paragraph. The number of lines in each paragraph will vary depending on the length of the paragraph. That might account for the "random" nature of the spacing. It's probably caused by the paragraph spacing, not the line spacing. That was suggested by JeJe in the first reply of this topic. If you're using a paragraph style that sets extra spacing below the paragraph (like the Text body paragraph style), the last line of every paragraph will have the extra space below it. Changing the paragraph spacing settings in the paragraph style to 0 may solve the problem, but there are no guarantees since I don't have a sample document to test.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is a procedure to anonymize your document, we just need a single page of that. See How to attach a document here.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If the file has confidential material in it, you can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every lower case alphabetic character to an " x ". Select all the text (Ctrl+A) and:

Edit > Find and Replace
Find box [a-z]
Replace box x
Options: Match case: YES, Regular expressions: YES
click Replace all

Repeat the above using [A-Z] and X to scramble the upper case letters, and [0-9] and 0 to scramble numeric data.

The limit here is 128kB, or use a fileshare site like mediafire for larger files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DonD22

Post by DonD22 »

Bill, your suggestion cured most of the problem but isolated instances remain. Now that I know how I will continue to work on it.
I thank you all for your attention an efforts.