[Solved] Unable to access any OpenOffice files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
daviddd55

[Solved] Unable to access any OpenOffice files

Post by daviddd55 »

This morning something happened to prevent me accessing any of my Open Office docs (with Windows 10). I got the message:
"Please exit Open Office 4.1.11 and the Open Office 4.1.11 Quickstart before you continue." I tried restarting the computer twice - no joy.

I tried to uninstall OO with the Windows 10 uninstaller but it wouldn't do so. So I used IObit uninstaller, which worked. I also used the IO cleaner to get rid of junk, fragments etc.
I then downloaded OO again, tried to install it, but just before it could install got the message " PLease exit OO 4.1.13 and the OO Quickstarter before you continue".
Any advice guys? I have many important OO files I need to open regularly.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Unable to access any openoffice files

Post by LastUnicorn »

Try the following:

1) At the System Tray click on the Quickstarter icon if it is present and chose to exit it.
2) Press the keyboard combination Ctrl+Shift+Esc — this will open Windows Task Manager.
3) In Task Manager look for any processes with soffice in their titles.
4) In Task Manager click on each one them and use the "End Process" button (it might be "End Task" in Windows 10) to kill the process.
5) Now try installing OpenOffice again.

P.S. In the longer run you should consider switching from OpenOffice to LibreOffice — as things stand OpenOffice is in the process of dying a slow death.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.15 [PortableApps]
daviddd55

Post by daviddd55 »

Thanks very much L, I found 10 or so lines in Task Manager for OO 4.1.11 and ended them, and was then able to install 4.1.13.
If I downloaded LibreOffice are OO filesOK to open?
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

daviddd55 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 pm If I downloaded LibreOffice are OO filesOK to open?
Yes, LibreOffice will handle your OpenOffice files without issues. There is slowly developing a situation in which OpenOffice will not be able to properly handle files created by LibreOffice because LibreOffice is up to date but OpenOffice isn't. Read through this thread for more details: I thought ODT was a universal format document
Windows 10 Pro. x64
daviddd55

Post by daviddd55 »

At first a few OO files opened after uinstalling 4.1.13, but now I'm back to square one - no files will open, and there are about 20 OO lines in Task Manager!
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Well I'm out of ideas on how to deal with that. If it was me I would just uninstall OpenOffice, reboot and then install LibreOffice. However, if you wait, maybe someone will come along that knows what the issue is that you are experiencing with OpenOffice.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
daviddd55

Post by daviddd55 »

Thanks for this Last Unicorn, OpenOffice is no more and LibreOffice workig fine at the moment.