Complaint about OpenOffice support for XLSX

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
WardXmodem

Complaint about OpenOffice support for XLSX

Post by WardXmodem »

If I open an xlsx spreadsheet as downloaded from my broker, one column repeats data many times.
If I open it as a zip file, the data is _NOT_ repeated.

If I open the same spreadsheet with Libre Office, it is fine.

P.S. this forum has been very helpful in some issues.

And totally bogus for some: such as advice "OpenOffice is not a clone of Excel. Use Excel for XLSX files."
uhh, Apache open office can open XLSX files. There's no excuse for it opening them incorrectly, especially when Libre office opens the same file with no problems. seeing complaints of repeated data "for years" means no one cares to fix it. I guess development has stopped. or prioritizes new things over fixing old bugs.

SO with all the crashes and messed up formatting I get in Apache spreadsheet and writer, I'm giving up on it.
Thanks for all your help, bye bye.
Ward Christensen, Inventor of Xmodem & BBSs
Open Office v 4.2.1, Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Duplication of content within cells

Post by Zizi64 »

Open Office v 4.2.1, Windows 10
There is not such AOO version yet.
...Are you using an archaic-old LibreOffice version? The latest LO Still version is the 7.3.5, and the latest LO Fresh version is 7.4.0 today.

Or maybe you have an unofficial version of the AOO. Where you downloaded it from?

...or maybe it is a simple typo in your signature.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.4.7 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.3.5;AOO4.1.13
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Complaint about OpenOffice support for XLSX

Post by John_Ha »

I suggest that you carefully read [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files for a description of differences, for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp, etc, and for the problems everyone is likely to come across.

Neither AOO nor LO (nor any other program) are or claim to be clones of MS Office - they claim to be compatible with MS Office files, but not fully compatible. If you need full MS Office and MS Office files capability, buy MS Office. If you can live with missing some of the less important, more esoteric things things then AOO or LO or other program should suit you.
Apache OpenOffice Product Description

Compatible with other major office suites ...
[LO] Use documents of all kinds

LibreOffice is compatible with a wide range of document formats such as Microsoft® Word (.doc, .docx), Excel (.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx) and Publisher. But LibreOffice goes much further with its native support for a modern and open standard, the Open Document Format (ODF).
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice fell into agony 10 years ago. One of the biggest advantages of OpenOffice is that it can not write OOXML formats. This way it does not help spreading this pestilence of a file format.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:17 pm This way it does not help spreading this pestilence of a file format.
:super:
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.