A better autocorrect is really needed

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
szegedin

A better autocorrect is really needed

Post by szegedin »

We have all become accustomed to the text autocorrect function on our smartphones. Although this is the source of constant amusement and frustration too -- generally it is extremely useful to have hte most common tyops automatically corrected, and because of shifting expectations, I am finding the Open Office autocorrect more and more inadequate every day.

The Apache developers are of course blameless because we're talking about the budget of Google vs an open source app. The former uses billions of inputs to learn the patterns of mistakes -- meanwhile, I find myself telling OO writer to "always correct to..." at least twice a day, for really basic stuff. There is an old joke "Doc, it hurts when I go like this. (Doc answers) Don't go like this" and naturally my typing faults can be criticized. But we're all typing a lot more, and a lot faster, and on constrained little keyboards, compared to 30 years ago.

I think I'm about to pay for Microsoft Word again because of this, but just want to say that Open Office has been very valuable and useful for ten or fifteen years. However, this is the main weakness now. If only they could import the database of Google's autocorrect.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: A better autocorrect is really needed

Post by John_Ha »

Try AutoHotKey where I downloaded a list of common typos (AutoHotKey AutoCorrect) and I added all my personal foibles (I often type thnaks for thanks). It works in any application including AOO and LO.

"My" spelling has improved immensely.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Well you could try configuring OpenOffice's autocorrect to correct the errors you commonly make.

Another tack to take would be to install AutoHotkey to your system and use that to deal with most of your autocorrect needs. This is what I do on my own system and I have things arranged so that AutoHotkey is active for most of the programs I use in which I do want an autocorrect function. In use it doesn't seem to matter how you have OpenOffice set up to use its own autocorrect or not — the two do not seem to interfere with each other. It has the advantage for me in that I only need to use one autocorrect script to work across OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Wordpad without having to manage/configure separate autocorrect files for each of them.

And you can get a pretty decent auto-correct script for AutoHotkey here: endolith — AutoCorrect.ahk

Note that you can modify that script yourself and add in your own stuff, so you can add Google's list yourself if you so desire. I've been using it for about year now, steadily adding my own stuff, and it works just fine for me. That said, there was a bit of learning curve at the beginning getting it set up and setting it to only be active in the programs I choose (not globally active which caused some issues in some small programs), but the few hours I spent doing that have been well rewarded.

If you intend doing a fair amount of editing of the autocorrect script then it would be best if you also install SciTE4AutoHotkey as this editor will aid in script writing. It is best to first of all install AutoHotkey and only after that has been done install SciTE4AutoHotkey.

If you get really stuck there is an AutoHotkey Forum where you can get help.
Last edited by LastUnicorn on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

John_Ha wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:48 pm Try AutoHotKey ...
Ha! :lol: For once I'm going to claim great minds think alike, John. :D

That said the autocorrect script that I point to seems to have some slight 'improvements' done to it that might not be present in the (original/source) script you point to — might be worth your while checking that out.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I have used AutoHotKey for many years and love it. Many of my often used "boiler plate" responses in the forum are set up as AHK scripts so it's just a few keystrokes to post them.

I have downloaded the script you mentioned.

I naturally agree with your "great minds ..." comment :super:
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
szegedin

Post by szegedin »

John_Ha wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:48 pm Try AutoHotKey where I downloaded a list of common typos (AutoHotKey AutoCorrect) and I added all my personal foibles (I often type thnaks for thanks). It works in any application including AOO and LO.

"My" spelling has improved immensely.
LastUnicorn wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:51 pm Well you could try configuring OpenOffice's autocorrect to correct the errors you commonly make.

Another tack to take would be to install AutoHotkey to your system and use that to deal with most of your autocorrect needs. This is what I do on my own system and I have things arranged so that AutoHotkey is active for most of the programs I use in which I do want an autocorrect function. In use it doesn't seem to matter how you have OpenOffice set up to use its own autocorrect or not — the two do not seem to interfere with each other. It has the advantage for me in that I only need to use one autocorrect script to work across OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Wordpad without having to manage/configure separate autocorrect files for each of them.

And you can get a pretty decent auto-correct script for AutoHotkey here: endolith — AutoCorrect.ahk
Thank you guys very much! -- I'm going to try this before signing up for that MS subscription. I had googled the issue but didn't find Autohotkey, so I'm glad I asked, or ranted, rather. I'm already many entries into my own autocorrect list, but this will really help. :super:
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 14
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention:

If you do register an account at AutoHotkey Forums you might find that you don't get an activation email to confirm your newly registered account. In that instance go to this webpage: Issues with registering, Post your username here... (You don't need an active registered account to be able to post in that thread.) In that thread make a post explaining you didn't get a confirmation email and state the UserName of the account you newly registered for yourself. In response to that one of the site admins will manually activate your account for you. (This happened to me when I used a Hotmail email address for my registration of a new forum account, I didn't get a confirmation email. Seems this is a known issue with the forum and Hotmail (and maybe other email providers). Once my account got manually activated I just changed my email to a Yahoo email account I had and, from there, everything works okay.)
Windows 10 Pro. x64
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

szegedin wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:01 pm We have all become accustomed to the text autocorrect function on our smartphones.

But we're all typing a lot more, and a lot faster, and on constrained little keyboards, compared to 30 years ago.
So, why haven’t you all (whoever you all are) developed a better office suite for 30 years?
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)