Looking for a simple way to open a PDF

Talk about anything at all....
BML

Looking for a simple way to open a PDF

Post by BML »

I found a useful book with a great bibliography. The only problem was that it is 28 pages long in close typing where the book titles run into each other. I want to change that to entries of one line.
I believe that it is possible to scan a page, copy it onto Word which will be in a PDF format and then use an OCR application to make them editable. This will allow me to edit them and I will be able to turn them in one title entries.
I tried a couple of "Free" OCR applications which when I attempted to use them turned out to require paying for.
I then found the following, “EasyOCR – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store.” Regrettably the kindest review was, “This is a piece of junk and it does not work on Windows 10”.
Could someone please recommend a FREE OCR app that is free and does actually work?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to General Discussion
Unspecified office suite
Unspecified operating system but probably some version of Windows
RoryOF

Re: Looking for a simple way to open a PDF.

Post by RoryOF »

gimagereader will take a PDF file and using Tesseract OCR engine may give you satisfactory results.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

BML wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 pmCould someone please recommend a FREE OCR app that is free and does actually work?
Try out https://www.pdf24.org
You can run the OCR module online or after installing on your machine. Be advised that probably each page has to be proofread. Get more experience by doing... - Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the tutorial on PDFs for lots of ideas.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.