Problems using a Hindi Keyboard on ubuntu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
newakruti

Problems using a Hindi Keyboard on ubuntu

Post by newakruti »

I have a keyboard manager installed keyman and have hindi keyboards installed on ubuntu 4.1.12, but when I start typing in openoffice writer using the hindi keyboard nothing is getting displayed. It does'nt moves the cursor. Any idea how to fix this?
openoffice version: 4.1.12
Operating System: ubuntu 22.04 LTS (64 bit)
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Problems using a Hindi Keyboard on ubuntu

Post by Bill »

There are 14 Hindi keyboards. Which one are you using? The Hindi Traditional Basic keyboard works for me in AOO 4.1.12 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Ubuntu Mate 22.04 LTS.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
newakruti

Post by newakruti »

I have tried using Hindi (inscript (m17n)) keyboard. I have also tried hindi typing with Hindi (Kagapa, Phonetic) keyboard and Hindi (Phonetic (m17n)) keyboard, which is working properly. But the other keyboard layouts are not responding in AOO.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There's a problem with your input source settings. The keyboards you're using are NOT Keyman Keyboards. They are keyboards that can be added to Ubuntu without Keyman being installed. Before I installed Keyman, there were 10 Hindi keyboards available to be added as input sources in Ubuntu, 7 of them had "m17n" in the name. After I installed Keyman those 7 were no longer available to be added. If you want to use Keyman Keyboards, then you need to run "Keyman Keyboards" to open Keyman Configuration which you can use to install Keyman Keyboards.
newakruti

Post by newakruti »

Thank you for your reply, Bill.

I have tried keyman keyboards and ubuntu keyboards both for hindi typing. When keyman keyboards didn't work, I tried ubuntu keyboards but that too didn't responded in AOO writer as mentioned in detail in my previous reply.

Please find the version of applications and problem related to them below:

1. OS - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (64 bit)
2. Keyman Version - 14.0.287-1
3. keyboard name and version - Hindi Devanagari Phonetic (ITRANS) keyboard 1.2.0
4. There is problem in typing with Apache Openoffice 4.1.12. Please try the keyman keyboards in Apache Openoffice (AOO). I am trying to type by selecting the hindi itrans keyboard but nothing appears on AOO writer screen. The keyboard appears in the dropdown menu of the taskbar. I can even select the keyboard using windowskey + space.

I have created a hindi keybaord similar to ubuntu Hindi (Typewriter (m17n)) keyboard using keyman developer with some minor changes but it not working in AOO writer. So, I tried various possibilities to check whether other hindi keyboards using keyman or ubuntu are working or not. Please help me with this.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

newakruti wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:57 am 1. OS - Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (64 bit)
2. Keyman Version - 14.0.287-1
3. keyboard name and version - Hindi Devanagari Phonetic (ITRANS) keyboard 1.2.0
4. There is problem in typing with Apache Openoffice 4.1.12. Please try the keyman keyboards in Apache Openoffice (AOO).
It works for me. The same characters appear in AOO 4.1.12 Writer and my text editor when the keyboard is set to Hindi Devanagari Phonetic (ITRANS).

Did you completely remove LibreOffice before installing Apache OpenOffice? Have you tried resetting your Apache OpenOffice user profile?
newakruti

Post by newakruti »

I tried dpkg -l | grep libreoffice command to check whether libreoffice is installed or not. It did not showed anything. i tried resetting Apache OpenOffice user profile also but still issue persists. I am not seeing any character in openoffice writer after typing using Hindi Devanagari Phonetic (ITRANS) keyboard 1.2.0 from keyman. I am not able to figure out what I am doing wrong . Please guide.