Animation Issue

Discuss the presentation application
Steve5

Animation Issue

Post by Steve5 »

I have a slide where I want a box to disappear on click, and two pictures to appear at the same time. At first I had one of the pictures appear on click with the other one appear "With previous", and the box to disappear "With previous," but it wasn't working. Maybe because the box was behind one of the pictures (and showed a little, which is why I wanted it to disappear).

Anyway, I have it set up with the box disappearing on a click (Exit and disappear) and each picture to appear "After previous." But only one picture is appearing. And I have to click for the second one to appear. Yes, both pictures are set up the same, "Entrance" "Appear," "With Previous." But that second picture isn't appearing with the box and other picture. I have to click for it to appear. I even tried "After previous," with 0 second delay. Still doesn't appear.

So why isn't this second picture following the "With previous" direction?
Libre Office 6.4.7.2, Open Office 4.1.10, Windows (ugh) 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Animation Issue

Post by John_Ha »

Use IrfanView to join the two images into a single image (Image > Merge images ...,) and Bingo!

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I was able to get it right, by switching the order of the pictures. Why does the order matter?

But I ran into another issue. Same slide, I want to click for arrows to appear, separate clicks, but on one arrow I want it to blink. It's set up "Emphasis," "Blink" "On Click," Duration is 2 seconds. But when I show the slide, that blinking arrow is on the slide, as if I didn't enter any timed animation at all. I tried setting it up just to appear on click and set up "Blink" "with previous," but that didn't work.

So how do I get the arrow to blink?

And I checked, it's not like I had an arrow under an arrow.
Last edited by Steve5 on Sat May 14, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

John, that's way too complicated and wouldn't work right. I don't want the pictures side by side. But why should I do it that way when it should work with the "clicks" and "with previous"? And it shouldn't matter what order I put them in.

I've found that when as I'm changing animations from, say, "click" to "with previous," it changes other animations I have set up in that window. Switches from "With previous" to "Click." Shouldn't change by itself.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I made the "blinking" arrow into the same as the others. Just to appear on click. And it messed up one of the two pictures! It's on the screen as if there's no animation on it! And no, I didn't touch that animation setting.

Why is this so messed up? :crazy:
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed.

Press POSTREPLY > Ful editor and preview. Click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I don't know how to upload a slide,and I'd rather not anyway. I've explained what's going on.

I figured out that "Blink" does not work. At all. Once I set up an arrow to appear on click and for it to "Blink," it's like not having any animation at all and the arrow is there once the slide is open.

And I just upgraded to the newest version. Didn't do any good.
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

@Steve5
On LibreOffice 7.3.3.2 I checked your 1st question. You could group two images. The group can be animated as a whole...

TwoImagesAppearAtSameTime.odp
(97.14 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

BTW: Impress seems to be a bit messy, as you state in the discussion. Hopefully it will be improved in future... :roll:
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Erbsenzahl, I don't want to group two images and I shouldn't have to if this darn thing would work.

I should also add that one of my arrows, set up to appear on click, doesn't work on one click. A second click is needed. And no, I shouldn't have to "deal with that." Everything works on one click. Why does one arrow have to be different?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Why not group copies of the two images and use that; your original images will still exit as separate images, which is presumably the objection to grouping them.

From memory, the animations occur sequentially.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I have a better idea. How about this thing work like it's supposed to do so I would have to do that? And it won't work anyway, the pictures are on top of another photo which I want to keep visible.

If I have something to appear on click and two things to disappear at the same time - both set up "with previous" - they're all happening at the same time. So there is no sequentially. So it shouldn't matter what order they're in, as long as the first one is "on click."

I tried the blink arrow on another slide - to appear and blink on click. Same thing, it's there when the slide opens. And I tried setting it up separately, just appear with click and another animation for it to blink, "with previous." Same thing.

I also had trouble with setting up multiple animations on a slide that I wanted to appear and disappear. Something's messed up with LO.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Steve5 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:41 pm I have a better idea. How about this thing work like it's supposed to do so I would have to do that?
See Survival Guide for the forum. We are volunteer users. We are not customer support and we are not here to take your suggestions or your complaints. We cannot change the code and we can only
  • correct obvious errors you are making which we may spot, and
  • make suggestions of workarounds to do what you are trying to do.
There is no point in my creating a file to attempt to replicate what you are trying to do as it will no doubt be different from your file.

If you refuse to upload a file I doubt anyone will be able to give you much help as it could be file dependent.

Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Since that arrow is going to appear on the slide automatically, and not on a click, I removed the arrow, duplicated the slide and added the arrow on the duplicated slide. So when I go to that slide, the arrow will look like it's suddenly appearing.

I tried having it blink in Open Office, instead of LO, and it actually worked. But it didn't work when I ran the slide show in LO. I guess I could run the slide show in OO instead.

By the way, when I was using OO I noticed there's still the very annoying issue where you click on a slide to work on, and instead of it opening, you're taken back up to the first slide. Happens about half the time. So it helps to remember the slide number so it will be easier to find when you have to scroll down to get to it. But you shouldn't have to do that!

I posted about that issue back in 2014. Others did as well after that. I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, which is why I use LO. But this means these LO animation issues won't be fixed either. Choose your poison I guess.

Impossible to duplicate what's going on when the issue is that when I set one animation it changes another. As for the blinking arrow, maybe if I get a chance.

But you'd think that the coders who use this regularly would notice these obvious issues themselves and fix them on their own, without having to be told about them. But you'd be wrong. Silly me.

Putting these slides and slide shows together are difficult enough. But OO and LO make it so much harder and frustrating. It would be like tax forms with blurry instructions - and it's never cleared up.