Opening TSV files in a speadsheet in OpenOffice.org

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Bogdan Petrenko

Opening TSV files in a speadsheet in OpenOffice.org

Post by Bogdan Petrenko »

My Open office experience has been wonderful, except one small annoying thing: I can't open tsv Microsoft files as an Open Office spreadsheet, and I already uninstalled Microsoft Office from my computers. The way around it is clumsy: open the tsv file in a word processor, and then keep copying and pasting the items in the spreadsheet one at a time. I will greatly appreciate any advice here.

Thanks,
Bogdan Petrenko
Hagar Delest

Re: Opening TSV files in a speadsheet in Open Office

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: [Solved] Opening a text file in Calc?
TSV is the equivalent of CSV so it should be the same.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: moved your thread in the Calc forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sourabha4u

Re: Opening TSV files in a speadsheet in Open Office

Post by sourabha4u »

But it is not opening in Open Office.
TSV is opening in Windows- MS Excel but I m using Ubuntu-Open Office 3.1 it is not opening.
open office 3.1 in ubuntu
Qusai

Re: Opening TSV files in a speadsheet in OpenOffice.org

Post by Qusai »

to open a tsv Microsoft files as an Open Office spreadsheet, you need to change the tsv to csv. If you use Ubuntu, right-click on Rename... and change it to csv
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can open any file with any program . Right-click>Open With... choose /usr/bin/soffice or oocalc (depends on how calc is linked in your /usr/bin/), check option "always use this program".

Text tables (csv, tsv, whatever) are database tables. You can collect similar files in one directory and access all the files easily through OOo Base.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
sync0x

Post by sync0x »

Qusai wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm to open a tsv Microsoft files as an Open Office spreadsheet, you need to change the tsv to csv. If you use Ubuntu, right-click on Rename... and change it to csv
This issue is worth revisiting. For what reason is OpenOffice unable to determine Calc is the correct application with which to open tab-separated-values files? By convention TSV is for spreadsheets while TXT is for documents. I do not wish to rename my own tab-separated-values files to use the comma-separated-values extension because it is important for my own software to know how to treat the expected presence or absence of a comma in each format. This is one feature in addition to the Visual Basic for Applications object model that Microsoft's own Office suite still has supremacy over.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

With whatever file name extension, right-click>Open With... OpenOffice Calc.

-- 2nd option: Open the office suite to the welcome screen side-by-side with your file manager and drag the file icon into the welcome screen. In case of a tsv extension, LibreOffice (not OpenOffice) loads the file into a spreadsheet.

-- 3rd option: menu:File>Open...
FileType: "Text (*.csv;*.txt)" [among the spreadsheet file formats]. Even if the file name is invisible because its extension does not match the filter, you can type its name into the name box. The auto-complete feature of that box will match even a hidden file.

If it opens with Writer, copy all (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) and paste-special as "unformatted text" into Calc (Ctrl+Shift+V)

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
sync0x

Post by sync0x »

Villeroy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:26 am ...

-- 3rd option: menu:File>Open...
FileType: "Text (*.csv;*.txt)" [among the spreadsheet file formats]. Even if the file name is invisible because its extension does not match the filter, you can type its name into the name box. The auto-complete feature of that box will match even a hidden file.

If it opens with Writer, copy all (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) and paste-special as "unformatted text" into Calc (Ctrl+Shift+V)

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Opening a data-bearing TSV in the literate-paragraph-editing Writer in preparation for a memory hungry clipboard transfer process, rather than Calc's fit-for-purpose Import formatting dialog, is about as close to a bug as one can get in my opinion. Given that the software is open source, I would be interested in tracing all subroutines where the monolithic soffice binary makes its decision as to which component application to hand over an open file request to. This includes the Open File dialog. When changing the file type dropdown at the lower-right to "Spreadsheets," all .TSV files disappear from view. In the same dialog on OO for Windows, the end of the list of associated extensions for spreadsheets simply reads ";*.csv" rather than ";*.csv;*.tsv" as it should, which would be the first step in resolving this issue.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you want to go through the source code for OpenOffice and find the appropriate sections (I pluralized that on purpose, as I doubt it will be in just one area), you can find more information about obtaining the source code at https://github.com/apache/openoffice
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

sync0x wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:07 pm Opening a data-bearing TSV in the literate-paragraph-editing Writer in preparation for a memory hungry clipboard transfer process, rather than Calc's fit-for-purpose Import formatting dialog, is about as close to a bug as one can get in my opinion.
OpenOffice has died several years ago. Apart from minuscule yearly bug fixes there is no development anymore. Since 2011 LibreOffice is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice. Apart from this particular issue with *.tsv, there are thousands of other things that have been fixed, improved and sometimes just changed. LO opens plain text files with *.tsv suffix with Calc.