[Solved] Create PDF

Discuss the drawing application
magneticanomaly

[Solved] Create PDF

Post by magneticanomaly »

Can I create PDF's in OO?

How can I make one multi-page PDF out of multiple JPEG's (scans of a document)?
Last edited by magneticanomaly on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 3.2 Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Create PDF

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, OOo can do that.
Put the jpegs in a Writer or Draw or Impress document.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
magneticanomaly

I can open a jpeg in Draw, but when I open another, it appears on a new document, not part of the same one...and then there is no "save as PDF" option What am I missing?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Add pages to your Draw file. But maybe Impress is better for your use.

File>Export as PDF will create the PDF.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
magneticanomaly

Re: SOLVED!Create PDF

I figured out a way to do it. Please feel free to suggest better ones.

Here is what I did.

I can take a jpeg that I saved from my scanner and open it in OO Draw, then I go to "file" menu and "export as PDF" That saves it in the spot I designate, as a PDF. I have to do this individually for all the page scans I want to include in the final PDF.

Then I got a free program called PDFTK Builder. In that program I can put each one-page PDF file individually in my desired order onto a list, then combine and save them as ONE PDF.

Thanks!
yorick

Re: [Solved] Create PDF

Post by yorick »

Your problem is that you are asking OOo to treat the image as a single document. That's what the "Open" command does. When you are dealing with multiple images in a single document you are dealing with a different document. You're not trying to open another document, you are inserting images into a new document. So do as follows.

Open a Draw document. (In the OOo "File" Menu go: New > Drawing)

Go to the "Insert" menu, click: Picture > from File.

Navigate to the scanned image you require in the Explorer window, highlight and click open.

Position the image on the page.

Put the mouse cursor over the left hand pane under where it says "Slide 1"

Right click and select "New Page", another slide will appear.

Repeat as above for however many pictures you want. Then go "File > Export as PDF" and you'll have a multipage PDF.

If you use the the Export command from the File Menu you have lots of options you can set as to how you want the PDF to be displayed.

Cheers
OpenOffice.org MarCon New Zealand
dkt65

Re: Creating PDF and Adding Pages

Post by dkt65 »

I found this forum looking for help when I needed an answer to the same question. I know I'm late to this, but I found another way. I use Open Office 4.1.1, so depending on what version you are using, this may, or may not work for you.

While using Draw, on the left side it will show you a mini preview of your file. Right click anywhere around that mini preview. It will then say "New Page". Click that and it will make another new page below the one you were working on. You have a new blank page added on as a second page for that pdf. Also, if you mess up somehow and the pages don't go in the correct order, you can grab them there and slide them into the spot you want them. If you need to delete a page and make a new page this will work for that too. I hope this helps someone.
Open office 4.1.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Most of the modern scanners can create PDF file as output directly instead of the image files. And some of them can merge the scanned pages into one pdf document.

...And you can control the "PDTtk server" from your macro code in the AOO/LO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

xSane in linux can scan a multipage document and build a multipage PDF file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

... and PDF Split and Merge can merge multiple PDF files into one PDF file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.