[Solved] Will AOO work I upgrade to OS11?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Grateful4OpenOffice

[Solved] Will AOO work I upgrade to OS11?

Post by Grateful4OpenOffice »

Currently running Apache Open Office version 4.1.11 on mid-2012 Macbook with 16 megs of Ram and running Catalina Version 10.15.7.

Everything working great, but sooner or later whatever browser I use (Safari or Chrome) will eventually not work with several websites.

When I fix that problem by upgrading to Big Sur or to Monterey, I worry whether there will be Open Office incompatibility issues.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to Mac OSX; Tagged ✓ [Solved] because Grateful4OpenOffice can't upgrade -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
JGY Apache Open Office version 4.1.11 on my mid-2012 Macbook with 16 megs of Ram and running Catalina Version 10.15.7.
MrProgrammer

Re: Will AOO work on mid 2012 MacBook if I upgrade to OS11?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Grateful4OpenOffice wrote:Currently running Apache Open Office version 4.1.11 on mid-2012 Macbook with 16 megs of Ram and running Catalina Version 10.15.7. Everything working great, but sooner or later whatever browser I use (Safari or Chrome) will eventually not work with several websites. When I fix that problem by upgrading to Big Sur or to Monterey, I worry whether there will be Open Office incompatibility issues.
Check with Apple but I suspect that MacOS 10.15 is the last version that a mid-2012 Macbook supports. If so, you won't be upgrading. If you want to know if OpenOffice runs on MacOS 11, you can probably find posts on the forum about that. Use the search feature to see for yourself.

While you may not be able to upgrade Safari, you can install Firefox and continue to get updates for MacOS 10.15. I suppose the same is true for Chrome, but I don't trust Google's browser not to be spyware. Their business model is gathering as much data as they can on you.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Will AOO work on mid 2012 MacBook if I upgrade to OS11?

Post by lgusaas »

Grateful4OpenOffice wrote:Currently running Apache Open Office version 4.1.11 on mid-2012 Macbook with 16 megs of Ram and running Catalina Version 10.15.7.

Everything working great, but sooner or later whatever browser I use (Safari or Chrome) will eventually not work with several websites.

When I fix that problem by upgrading to Big Sur or to Monterey, I worry whether there will be Open Office incompatibility issues.
Big Sur requires:
  • MacBook (2015 or later)
    MacBook Air (2013 or later)
    MacBook Pro (Late 2013 or later)
    Mac mini (2014 or later)
    iMac (2014 or later)
    iMac Pro (2017 or later)
    Mac Pro (2013 or later)
Monterey requires:
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 or later)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015 or later)
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 or later)
    MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015 or later)
    MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016 or later)
    iMac (Late 2015 or later)
    Mac mini (Late 2014 or later)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013 or later)
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura