[Solved] Problem with presentation saved as .ppt

Discuss the presentation application
undiscovered country

[Solved] Problem with presentation saved as .ppt

Post by undiscovered country »

Hi Everybody,

Is it OK to ask for help here about a technical problem with PowerPoint slides?

Yesterday I prepared a simple 4 slide PowerPoint for a class (I'm a teacher new to preparing PPTs). My PPT was simple with just two pics and text light, with just the main points on. I saved it, and today had no problem finding the file and opening it. The text and pics were as I placed them and everything was in order, except one thing.

The style and colours of the background had changed by itself. Instead of the colourful stylish background that I chose from the template choice, and saved the PPT with yesterday, a blander less colourful background has appeared, instead. Has anybody out their experienced this? Does anybody know:

1. The cause of this?
2. How to fix it?

Update:

I found an icon amongst two columns of icons on the right side of the PPT page called "Master Slides" and was able to find the template background I used before and to change my slides back to the original background that I used.

If anybody knows how to avoid it changing in the first place it might be useful, though. If somebody arrives at their destination ready to present their PPT and then find they have to change their slides back to their original background one by one, it could be more than a minor inconvenience.

Thanks for your patience,

Undiscovered Country
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10
Mountaineer

Re: PowerPoint- Technical Problem

Post by Mountaineer »

undiscovered country wrote:Hi Everybody,

Is it OK to ask for help here about a technical problem with PowerPoint slides?
You may ask here, but usually it is recommended to use the sub-forum for the program you use, so Impress would be the usual choice.

As you are posting in Beginners, I have to ask first:
You are using LibreOffice, or did you actually use PowerPoint?

You saved your file in wich format?
(Not every format carries every option well. Conversions are always to be tested.)

As to your update: Does this change is now permanent?

And to your last remark:
...it could be more than a minor inconvenience.
Be prepared. Keep your backups. Bring a laptop wich you control. Bring cables to connect to anything. And pray you will never experiece a loss of energy during your presentations...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Note:
There is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different file types. Tha native file format of the Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice is the ODF (.odp for the Impress app).

The AOO and LO can work only with the ODF file structure and formatting properties.
You must to convert your PPT file into .odp format, if you want to work with the LibreOffice efficiently. And - in many cases - you must to fix issues of the converted files arised during the conversion.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
undiscovered country

Post by undiscovered country »

Mountaineer,

I think you're correct, this is not really the best forum to ask this question. I am using Libre Office Impress and saved it in a PPT file.

It hasn't changed background since I started working on it an hour or so ago. I only found it changed after I opened the PPT to start working on it, today. When I saved it yesterday, it was fine. Thanks for the advice about being ready for presentations.

Zizi64

Thanks. I will work with Odp and ODF.

Thanks, both of you, for your quick and useful replies.
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10