[Dropped] Annoying advertisement pop-up

Talk about anything at all....
sloriter

[Dropped] Annoying advertisement pop-up

Post by sloriter »

Good day! I opened an OOW document this morning and an advertisement appeared on the upper left of it that I can't move or remove, so it prevents me from working on the opening paragraphs. I downloaded LibreOffice Writer and the identical thing happened, so it's not exclusive to OOW. (I don't see it in Chrome web browser or Thunderbird email client.)

I downloaded Malwarebytes and scanned the computer (Windows 10). I assume but don't know that Microsoft's Defender software is also running. Neither finds anything to quarantine.

How can I get rid of this nasty?

Thanks -- Dan
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice4.01 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Annoying advertisement pop-up

Post by RoryOF »

There are no advertisements in a genuine OpenOffice; we need to see at least a screenshot, and preferably a copy of your .odt file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sloriter

Post by sloriter »

Okay, I'll try, but I''m sure the advert has nothing to do with the OOW or LOW software. Whatever it is, it apparently has the ability to read the text. I was writing about 18th century clothing and the ad was for fashion clothing. When I opened the doc in LOW, it changed to something more generic, can't remember what. It affects only those two programs. In OOW it freezes the document. In LOW it can't be moved or removed, but I can screen down to continue work on anything not obscured by the advert.
OpenOffice4.01 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload a screenshot (see How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Is part of your document copied from the Internet and could that copy contain an advertisement?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum