Attaching to Filemaker databases?

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Drue

Attaching to Filemaker databases?

Post by Drue »

I need a flexible method to report and query the information contained in Filemaker 8 files. Is there a way Base can attach to Filemaker data? If so, can you also point me to available drivers and any information. Btw, the databases are on macs, using Leopard and Tiger.

Thanks,
Drue
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Attaching to Filemaker databases?

Post by Villeroy »

I'm not a database expert, but in general it should be the same procedure as connecting to mySQL via odbc or via jdbc. http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... SQLandBase
Install a odbc/jdbc-driver for Filemaker, register your database and create a new Base-document connecting to the o/jdbc-source.
The database tables appear in the tables container of the Base document.
Simple select-queries can be done in the query designer, more complex select-queries can be done in text view and "native mode". Native mode passes the sql over to the engine.
Forms and reports are special writer documents, embedded in the Base document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Drue

Post by Drue »

Villeroy, thanks for your quick response. I'm looking for some kind of ODBC driver for BASE for Filemaker (like you use the odbc/jdbc driver to hook into your sql db.)

So, briefly, I'm looking for some kind of driver to attach to Filemaker.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

The ODBC and JDBC drivers are supplied by FileMaker - you will find information at the Filemaker site regarding installation and configuration.

I am not sure but I believe that under Filemaker 8 the supplied drivers are for data loading / export only - don't quote me on that, go check - and it was in the Version 9 release that they supplied 2 way live connections.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04