[Solved] New Draw User with 3 Questions

Discuss the drawing application
skuddle

[Solved] New Draw User with 3 Questions

Post by skuddle »

Edit: We understand you're new here, but in the future, please don't ask multiple, unrelated questions in a topic, skuddle. It complicates the discussion. Question 1 was fine, but the other two questions should have been in their own topic. As it is, anyone else who is interested in this topic because they also have a large document size to display on a standard-sized piece of paper has to wade through irrelevant discussion about the forum. Questions are not related just because they all come from you. See One issue, one thread in our Survival Guide.
-- MrProgrmmer, forum moderator 
I just installed LibreOffice version 7.2. I am a new user.

Question 1:
I opened a document in Draw. The document size is 236 inches and only part of the document appears. I spent about an hour working with the Zoom function and I cannot get the entire document to be displayed. I want it to appear on an 8.5x11 inch paper. How can I do this?

Question 2:
Is this forum still up to date?

Question 3:
Why isn't the LibreOffice forum in the same format as this one? I find it difficult to use.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1
* LibreOffice 7.2.4.1
FJCC

Re: New Draw User with 3 Questions

Post by FJCC »

1. Select the menu Format -> Page. On the Page tab of that dialog, you can set the page size.
2. I'm not sure what you mean. There are still plenty of people here answering questions.
3. This forum has had the same format since it was founded, or at least since I joined in 2008. I think it is a little old fashioned but I see no need to change it. The folks on the LibreOffice forum make their own decisions and I can't speak for them.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Question 3:
Why isn't the LibreOffice forum in the same format as this one? I find it difficult to use.
If you meant the
https://ask.libreoffice.org/c/english/5
site, then you will understand: that is not a FORUM. That is an Ask site with questions, comments and answers.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

skuddle wrote:I just installed LibreOffice version 7.2. I am a new user.

Question 1:
I opened a document in Draw. The document size is 236 inches and only part of the document appears. I spent about an hour working with the Zoom function and I cannot get the entire document to be displayed. I want it to appear on an 8.5x11 inch paper. How can I do this?
To get 236 inches on an 8.5 inch wide page you need a scale factor of 3.6% and to the 11 inch dimension 4.7%; the smallest you will get with OpenOffice is 5%
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

While you can't scale down the document to fit the desired size, you should be able to resize the objects.
  • Press ctrl+A to select all objects.
  • Select menu item Format - Position and size
  • Select tab Position and size
  • In the Size section, tick the box to maintain ratio and enter desired dimension for width or height.
  • Click OK
  • Press ctrl+C to copy all the resized objects
  • ctrl+N creates a new Draw document with default sheet size (probably US letter if that is your target format)
  • ctrl+V pastes the copied objects to your new document.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

skuddle wrote: I spent about an hour working with the Zoom function and I cannot get the entire document to be displayed. I want it to appear on an 8.5x11 inch paper. How can I do this?
Print or SaveAs to pdf-Format first. Then use AcrobatReader to Resize to the desired Size (the main reason, why I have that program installed. I would never recommend it as default viewer, but it is a nice "printer".

On the other questions: Not everybody here will use the newest versions for many reasons. But think yourself: What is up-to-date for a forum? Nobody will re-edit every older question, answered several years ago to new standard...

And for the last question:The possibilities to handle things are endless. So most things are tried and think positive: You can decide wich form you like more.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cross posted at https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/question- ... file/71782

If you cross post, please let us know that you have done so, otherwise it leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

@FJCC
I too like the format of this (OpenOffice) forum. Very much. Easy to work with. I was just wondering why LibreOffice doesn't use a format like this one.

About question #2 ... I thought that because there aren't many questions and replies listed that this forum was not very popular. It's good to know that people still visit it, and I think I will address all of my questions regarding LibreOffice to this forum.

@Zizi64
Okay, I see what you're saying. Thanks for replying.

@Robelyd
Sorry about the cross-posting. My memory is slowly going out. I'll post here and not on the LO Q&A from now on.

@RoryOF
Looks like that explains it. I'll try the other suggestions and see if they help me out.
* LibreOffice 7.2.4.1
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

When I Print to PDF all I get is a 1 KB file, and when I open the PDF with AcrobatReader all I get are blank pages.

When I tried to Save as a PDF the only options that were available did not include PDF. What I got were blank 8.5x11 inch pages.

I'm using LibreOffice version 7.2.4.1.
* LibreOffice 7.2.4.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When I Print to PDF all I get is a 1 KB file, and when I open the PDF with AcrobatReader all I get are blank pages.
The Print to PDF uses a third party virtual PDF Printer software. It is not realted to the AOO/LO. And you must set/adjust the Print range in your document before you try to print it.

When I tried to Save as a PDF the only options that were available did not include PDF. What I got were blank 8.5x11 inch pages.
The conversion to PDF format is an Export feature in the AOO/LO. You will find it in the menu items File - Export...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

Thank you for your reply. Did not even think about the Export function.
Now I can convert all of my CDR files to LibreOffice!
* LibreOffice 7.2.4.1