Slow scrolling in all apps. Option to increase speed?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
geist

Slow scrolling in all apps. Option to increase speed?

Post by geist »

Is there an option to increase the scroll speed in Open Office 3? It's frustratingly slow using both my mouse and trackpad, and I think this is by design (not a bug).
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Slow scrolling in all apps. Option to increase speed?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Not so many Mac users here, apparently. There is no obvious problem in Windows. The scroll speed is under OS control so I can set the number of lines for one click of the scroll wheel.

There is an Option in OpenOffice, Options, View to use the middle mouse for automatic scrolling as in a browser. This gives bidirectional scrolling when zoomed in, and accelerated scrolling when you drag to the edge of the window.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Scrolling speed is set by the operating system. You can adjust in in your system preferences.

I find that different programs scroll at different speeds. Mozilla programs (Firefox, Thunderbird) scroll quite fast. Apple programs (Safari, Pages) scroll somewhat slower, although a bit faster than OO.o which scrolls at about the same speed as Mac Preview.

Adjust your system scrolling speed to give a good compromise for all the programs you use.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Are you using an Intel or PPC machine? I have heard that there are some PPC specific bugs that can cause significant slow-downs.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
geist

Post by geist »

I won't adjust my OS wide scrolling speed because other apps are fine. I'm thinking there isn't any way to change it so I don't know if I can continue using OO.o. I was hoping to switch from MS Office... I guess I'll continue installing updates and check the app behavior periodically until it works better
geist

Post by geist »

kabing wrote:Are you using an Intel or PPC machine? I have heard that there are some PPC specific bugs that can cause significant slow-downs.

kabing
Intel. Early 2008 134 model MBP.
geist

Post by geist »

Okay I've been testing OO.o out some more and found the whole program itself to be sluggish/lagging. Just seems whenever I go to do something there's a delay so It might be this that's causing the slow scrolling. I've tried running OO.o 2.4 within Ubuntu via VMWare and its very snappy - no issue's at all.
xinger

Post by xinger »

I came upon this discussion Sunday morning when my OpenOffice Writer became unbearably sluggish. For what it's worth, I think it started happening after I upgraded VMWare Fusion from 1.0 to 2.0.1. To be clear, I don't run OpenOffice in a VMWare guest; I run it directly under OS X (10.4.11). But after I upgraded Fusion, Writer started using 99% of a CPU just to page up and page down. It worked but it was s-l-o-w. I ended up downgrading OO from 3.0 to 2.4. My speed is back, but of course I lost the 3.0 features. I'm curious if someone can corroborates this, or especially interested if someone has another solution.
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx other
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

I can't corroborate it, as I don't use either version of OpenOffice.org. But in a few months another option might be to try NeoOffice 3.0. The Early Access Program, which requires a donation, will begin January 15, and it will be available for free beginning March 31. NeoOffice 3.0 will use the OpenOffice.org 3.0 code as a base, but will use their own code to make it Mac native, so that might (or might not) improve the speed issues.

There is also a bug fix release for OpenOffice.org 3.0 slated sometime in the near future, but I'm not sure of the schedule.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
penkapp

Post by penkapp »

I agree with the original post. Scrolling is very sluggish in OO 3 for the Mac. All other apps on the Mac are fine. Also submitted at <http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=77935>.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

xinger wrote:I came upon this discussion Sunday morning when my OpenOffice Writer became unbearably sluggish. For what it's worth, I think it started happening after I upgraded VMWare Fusion from 1.0 to 2.0.1. To be clear, I don't run OpenOffice in a VMWare guest; I run it directly under OS X (10.4.11). But after I upgraded Fusion, Writer started using 99% of a CPU just to page up and page down. It worked but it was s-l-o-w. I ended up downgrading OO from 3.0 to 2.4. My speed is back, but of course I lost the 3.0 features. I'm curious if someone can corroborates this, or especially interested if someone has another solution.
It sounds like your Fusion installation corrupted something. Try reinstalling OO.o 3. Also try using a new user profile, since it may have been corrupted. You could also ask VMWare why the installation of their program caused a problem with OO.o. They seem to have caused the problem.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
chrbal

Post by chrbal »

This is still an issue in OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS 10.5 (Build:9399)

Sluggish is the wrong term I think - it doesn't feel like a performance issue really (it feels like it's working as designed, but the design is wrong). The scroll speed is mysteriously operating at a slow speed.

Contrary to the implications in the early replies to the original posting, OpenOffice is scrolling at a different speed than the system settings. Or, put another way, OpenOffice is not using the system's scroll speed settings. All of my applications, except for OpenOffice, scroll at the same fast speed.

Something is wrong in the OpenOffice implementation.

To reproduce:
1) Choose any non-OpenOffice text editing application, such as TextEdit
2) Open or create a long text document
3) Use the scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll up and down
4) See the same speed you're used to seeing
5) Launch OpenOffice 3.1 (or 3.0), Write application
6) Open or create a long text document
7) Use the scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll up and down
8) Notice how frustratingly slow the scrolling is, different than every other app on your system

This is not a system setting issue. This is an OpenOffice issue. And it makes me really dread using OpenOffice for viewing and editing docs. Nearly a deal breaker.

Truly, this is awful. It's the kind of thing that should just work. This is low-hanging fruit - please get it fixed ASAP. It is awful for productivity and frankly for mindshare regarding OpenOffice adoption.

Thanks for listening.
OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS 10.5
chrbal

Post by chrbal »

Also, most topics in here have less than 100 views.

This one has over 1000+.

Surely that means folks keep Googling on this issue and finding this thread.

That means this is both widespread and very annoying IMHO.
OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS 10.5
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Contrary to the implications in the early replies to the original posting, OpenOffice is scrolling at a different speed than the system settings. Or, put another way, OpenOffice is not using the system's scroll speed settings. All of my applications, except for OpenOffice, scroll at the same fast speed.

Something is wrong in the OpenOffice implementation.
I just tested this on my MacBook. Opened document in OO.o. Copied text into TextEdit. Compared scrolling speeds using trackpad on my MacBook. Scrolling speed about the same both applications — OO.o scrolled a bit farther. Tried my Logitech trackball. A single click on scrolling wheel moved page much less in TestEdit than in OO.o. A fast scroll moved TextEdit a bit less than OO.o...

I can't reproduce your problem. It may be a problem with specific mice. What are you using? What Mac are you using? Intel or PPC?

People providing help on this forum are users, like you, who volunteer to give support to fellow users. If you feel their is something in OO.o that needs fixing, you need to file a bug report so the developers will see it.

You could check for any bug reports for OO.o and could also submit bug report. See this tutorial for information:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=13490
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
kestrange

Post by kestrange »

Just to confirm the observations by chrbal
Scrolling in OpenOffice in large text documents (10-100 A4 pages) is way to slow and sluggish :(
This is the main reason why I use NeoOffice instead of OpenOffice.
OOo 3.1.0 / OOo 3.2.0, Mac OS X 10.5.8
dfb23

Post by dfb23 »

I don't know if it's the same problem, but OOo on my very new, otherwise very fast MacBook Pro pauses (noticeably, at least a half second) when I cursor up or down past the edge of the visible part of the document (i.e., OOo is really slow to update the display). It's worse than annoying.

I don't have Fusion or Parallels on my machine, so that's not what's causing it.
OOo 3.1.1, Mac OSX 10.5.8
kestrange

Post by kestrange »

I have done a bit more testing on an iMac ( iMac5.1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz with 2 GB RAM ) and a macBook ( macBook3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz 2 GB RAM ), using both trackpad and an Apple mighty mouse and two different Logitech mice: "Scroll wheel" and "MX revolution cordless".

I must admit I'm now somewhat mystified :o

Scrolling in OpenOffice now seems to work a lot better than before. It's not as smooth as f.ex. Pages or TextEdit, but it's acceptable. I'm not quite sure what's going on, but it seems that scrolling in OpenOffice is a very CPU-intensive task, maybe it just a question about how much load we are putting on the CPU? Perhaps for a Logitech-mouse it's also related to the precise configuration in the "logitech control center" pref-pane :?:
OOo 3.1.0 / OOo 3.2.0, Mac OS X 10.5.8
dfb23

Post by dfb23 »

Just to clarify, the problem I described (which may or may not be related to the OP's issue, I'm not sure) occurs only when scrolling with the arrow keys--when scrolling with a mouse wheel there's no slowdown at all, and everything's quite smooth.

I've tried increasing the graphics cache and such, but I can detect no change in the program's behavior when I do that.
OOo 3.1.1, Mac OSX 10.5.8
SixOThree

Post by SixOThree »

I am having this same problem as well. Put simply: Scrolling does not work properly in Open Office for Mac.

I am using a MacBook Pro 4,1 (early 2008). I have tried internal trackpad, Microsoft Mouse, Logitech Mouse. I have tried controlling it from another computer using synergy. All of these control other applications normally except Open Office for Mac.
Open Office Macbook Pro 4,1 (early 2008)
SixOThree

Post by SixOThree »

Also, I can confirm what another user is experiencing - sometimes when you scroll away from cursor the screen jumps back to cursor position for no reason. I think this may be related to the autosave because if I scroll the view away from cursor and Command-S, the view will return to cursor location.

I would also like to point out that this thread alone is nearing 2000 views. That means other people are having this same problem with OO.
Seriously guys, what kind of application doesn't scroll properly?
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I am having this same problem as well. Put simply: Scrolling does not work properly in Open Office for Mac.
Which problem? Slow scrolling is the topic of this thread. Other problems have been mentioned. What specifically is your problem? Saying that scrolling does not work properly does not give any clue to what the problem is or what the solution might be. You also did not state what version of Mac OS X you are using or what version of OpenOffice.org you have.
I would also like to point out that this thread alone is nearing 2000 views. That means other people are having this same problem with OO.
Number of views isn't the same as number of problems. This thread is a year old.There are only 20 posts to it, a number of which do not have any problem or have resolved their problem.
Seriously guys, what kind of application doesn't scroll properly?
OO.o scrolls properly for me on my MacBook. I suspect some people are having a software/hardware conflict. Possibly with multi-tracking trackpads.

The people on this forum are just users like you who try to help others with their problems. Have you posted a bug report to OO.o? That is the only way that developers will know that some people are having a problem. I suggested this in an earlier post of mine. Here again is a link to the tutorial on how to report bugs.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=13490
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
SixOThree

Post by SixOThree »

For those who don't understand the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=behKkytpl78
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

SixOThree wrote:For those who don't understand the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=behKkytpl78
Did you include the link to the YouTube video link when you filed a bug report so the developers can see what the problem is?
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
peist

Post by peist »

I see this (scrolling not taking the wheel acceleration into account) when using a scrollwheel on my Mac Pro (using a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman), but on my MacBook's multi-touch trackpad it scrolls quickly like a normal app. Feels great on the MacBook! So if you want to test it then make sure you're using something other than a trackpad.
OOo v3.1.1 Mac OS 10.5.8
crohweder

Post by crohweder »

Same problem with slow scrolling with Logitech mouse. Tested on the following environments:

- Intel iMac late 2006 with OSX 10.4.11, OO.o 3.1
- Intel iMac late 2006 with OSX 10.5.8, OO.o 3.1
- Intel iMac early 2009 with OSX 10.5.8, OO.o 3.1
- Intel iMac early 2009 with OSX 10.5.8, OO.o 3.2 RC

Scrolling in OO.o is slow, in all other applications with systemwide speed.

Greetings
Christian
OpenOffice 3.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.3
le.fu

Post by le.fu »

have the same problem, i.e. scrolling extremely annoying. It is OO specific, after all OO also implements some autoscrolling function with the middle mouse button. Using autoscrolling btw is actually ok, but only available in OO.

hope this will be fixed soon :)
OpenOffice 3.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.3
homerick

Post by homerick »

i had the same trouble i check for virus and didn't found any then i check the hard drive in finder and found a folder call opt or something like that i delete it as soon as i deleted it i could scroll properly hope it helps :D
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
bslagter

Post by bslagter »

Same here. Very slow scrolling only in OO3.2.1.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 (build 9502) on MacOS 10.6
bloom

Post by bloom »

And once again, same here, noticeably broken scrolling in OOo only (not the other apps).
Number of views isn't the same as number of problems. This thread is a year old.There are only 20 posts to it, a number of which do not have any problem or have resolved their problem.
They just don't want to register yet another forum account.

Also, scrolling is ok in NeoOffice 3.1. I've got two Writers - one from NeoOffice and one from standard OpenOffice side by side. And there's clear difference in scrolling speed.
OpenOffice 3.2 on MacOS 10.6
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

bloom wrote:And once again, same here, noticeably broken scrolling in OOo only (not the other apps).
They just don't want to register yet another forum account.
Then they must not have much of a problem. Where are the stats to back that opinion?
Also, scrolling is ok in NeoOffice 3.1. I've got two Writers - one from NeoOffice and one from standard OpenOffice side by side. And there's clear difference in scrolling speed.
As I have suggested before, file a bug report and post the issue number to this thread so people with problem can vote/comment on the issue. Nobody on this thread has reported an issue #. If the problem isn't filed as an issue, the developers will not know about the alleged problem and it will, therefore, not get looked at and fixed.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada