Paste screenshot to OpenOffice on Mac OSX

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
siryoplait

Paste screenshot to OpenOffice on Mac OSX

Post by siryoplait »

When I take a screencap to the clipboard in osx ( command + control + shift + 4), I cannot paste it into OpenOffice. Pasting into TextEdit and then dragging the image to OpenOffice works fine (other than the positioning being far more annoying than inserting at cursor with a regular paste. I should add that I've also tried paste special.

Is this a configuration issue on my end, or a bug? I just updated to the latest OpenOffice 3.1.1, build 9420.

Edit for Additional Info- I just saw something new looking at the actual menu options (had been using shortcut keys). I can copy text, paste it, and it works fine, and Paste/Paste Special are not grayed out. From this state, with text in the clipboard, I take a screenshot (cmd+ctrl+shift+4), and then look at the menu options again - grayed out now. Clearly the clipboard contents have been updated, but OOo doesn't recognize it as valid content to paste for whatever reason.

Additionally - Is there a way to prevent OO from resizing images as they are inserted? The stretching of segments of screenshots coupled with the inability to easily get them back to their original unstretched size is a recipe for some awful looking images.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.1
Hagar Delest

Re: Pasting Screenshot in OSX

Post by Hagar Delest »

Personally, I always paste in an picture manager, crop if necessary and save in the dedicated format (either .png or .jpg depending on the content). Then insert through the Insert>Picture>From file menu. If you don't go that way, OOo can use a different format (usually .png) and thus increase heavily the file size. Have never experienced stretching issues.

In fact, OOo may not recognize the Mac clipboard when it contains such screenshot.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

For what it's worth, I can take a screenshot to the clipboard (as you specified) and paste into NeoOffice 3.0.1EA (an independent Mac port/fork of OpenOffice.org). I'm running Tiger (OSX 10.4.11).

So it could be:
-a Snow Leopard issue
-a bug introduced in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1
-a bug/issue in Openoffice.org 3.0.1 that the NeoOffice developers managed to correct (doubful)
-a problem with your specific machine

Do you use any sort of clipboard manager?

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I can't paste screenshot directly to OO.o 3.1.1 using Snow Leopard. Checked with Dev. version of OO.o 3.2.0 and it doesn't work either. I never tried this on older versions of OO.o or OS X, so I can't comment on them.

I use a clipboard manager, PTHPastboard. If I try to paste using it, it does not paste the first time I click the screen image but does the second time and adds a second copy of the image to the Pastboard.

Related topic: I can't copy an image and paste it into OO.o from Sarari. If I use Firefox, I can copy the image and paste into OO.o.

It seems there is a bug with OO.o worth investigating and reporting.

Note: I edited this post and deleted the duplicate, which I posted by mistake when I intended to edit this post earlier. :crazy:
Last edited by lgusaas on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
gms

Post by gms »

I have the same problem when using Grab or using the (command + control + shift + 4) to copy a screen shot to the clipboard. I cannot paste it into OpenOffice 3.1.1 (OOO310m19 (Build:9420)) on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

I also have a MacMini (PPC) running Leopard with OO3.0.1 (OOO300m15 (Build:9379)). This works fine as did my MacBook Pro before upgrading to Snow Leopard and version OO3.1.1. Unfortunately I don't know if it is version OO3.1.1 or Snow Leopard that causes the problem as both upgrades were done at the same time. Any feedback would be welcome
anioff

Post by anioff »

Since migrating from a MacBookPro with Leopard to a new one with Snow Leopard, I have this problem too, where I cannot paste images from the system clipboard. Not at all - not merely 'occasionally. It seems to work with text, but not images that I have created using 'shift-option-cmd-4'...

Openoffice 3.1.1 for mac. Was using same version on previous laptop.

I used to use this feature a lot on the previous laptop.
:(
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx other
exegete77
Volunteer

Post by exegete77 »

Yes, it is a problem with SL and OpenOffice. NeoOffice 3.0.2 works as expected. So, 3.1 introduced something; the NeoOffice programmers made an adjustment to permit this (fixed on Jan 19,2010).

I can paste into Nisus Writer Pro then copy into OpenOffice; or I also have Voila and drag it from there into OO.org just fine.
Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion
LibreOffice 3.5 / Symphony 3
Scrivener 2.2 / Tinderbox 5.10
anioff

Post by anioff »

thanks!
had not come across NeoOffice before!
I see "Starting on 2 February 2010, all users will be able to download NeoOffice 3.0.2 for free" so I'll wait a couple of days, and then see how I go with this!

Cheers!
:)
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx other
parjas

Post by parjas »

I always use Mac's default screenshot functionality which gives more editing features I think but after updating my macbook to monterey its's not working. I used these guides Screenshot Macbook and https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/m ... h26782/mac

It some times work and other times do not. Should I reset my macbook air? or there is an updated openoffice version that i use?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows