[Solved] Create DOCX file without LibreOffice

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
benOAH

[Solved] Create DOCX file without LibreOffice

Post by benOAH »

Hi,
I am on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 and when I first installed it LIbreOffice came in naturally. Because I don't trust LibreOffice so much (!) I swapped it for OpenOffice that I knew allready. It was not easy to do and I had to remove some files manually. One of them was called libreoffice-base:amd64
Now I need to supply a docx file for my project and it looks that I must re-install LibreOffice. It's possible to have both of them on the same machine if OpenOffice is installed at first, starting from what I've read, just by swapping the soffice file in the repository /usr/bin.
The thing is that I need to get this libreoffice-base:amd64 component to begin with.
Do you have any idea to let me provide a docx file without LIbreOffice on Linux/ubuntu ? or to get this libreoffice-base:amd64 file
Thank you in advance for any reply.
Ben
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OPenOffice4 on Linux-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 15 19:09:17 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
RoryOF

Re: How can I provide a docx file ?

Post by RoryOF »

You could try an online (free) conversion service such as
http://www.zamzar.com

I have not checked, but am reasonably sure that that service can convert a .doc or .odt file to ,docx.

You should also draw attention of the destination to the fact that they should not be requiring files to be submitted using a secret proprietary file type.
 Edit: Corrected typo in URL - early morning brain not fully engaged . 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Because I don't trust LibreOffice so much (!) I swapped it for OpenOffice that I knew allready.
The LibreOffice is a successor of the OpenOffice. It was forked at version 3.3 of the OpenOffice. I am using the LO since the forking date at home and at work without larger problem. Yes, there are bugs in both Office suites. But, the OpenOffice has an ever-increasing incompatibility with the foreign file formats and with the newer versions of the operating systems - because the development of the AOO is incredible slowened.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Instead of reinstalling LibreOffice, you could download LibreOffice as AppImage which contains all files necessary to run LO.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

benOAH wrote:Because I don't trust LibreOffice so much (!)
This implies that you can not trust Ubuntu Linux neither. Ubuntu distributes bundles of Open Source Software (OSS) and updates all these packages automatically by means of trusted certificates. OpenOffice has died many years ago which is the reason why there is not a single Linux distributor distributing OpenOffice. It is just a matter of time that some real security issue or some incompatibility with a platform can't be fixed anymore.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: Create DOCX file without LibreOffice

Post by Hagar Delest »

Put it differently, if you want to create a .docx file without LibreOffice, then... buy MS Office.
I don't know about any other application other than LibreOffice capable of that (but the online service zamzar).
 Edit: I stand corrected, Google Docs can also do that it seems. And Pages but on Mac. I guess that LO offers the best import/export filter, but that would be to be confirmed. 
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Python docx library - if you want to make your own application to create .docx files:

https://python-docx.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
benOAH

Post by benOAH »

Thank you for your replies which are really helpfull to me. I've been choosing the AppImage solution from Bill :bravo: which is the easiest and the dryest. It's been REALLY easy to set up and to use - not even three minutes to get the .docx file on my hard desk ....
Have a nice week-end !
Ben
OPenOffice4 on Linux-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 15 19:09:17 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Create DOCX file without LibreOffice

Post by John_Ha »

For Windows users, Start > Windows accessories > Wordpad ..., saves .docx files albeit it word processing capability is limited.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.