[Solved] Open Writer file, then pop-up ‘recover remote copy’

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
movie writer

[Solved] Open Writer file, then pop-up ‘recover remote copy’

Post by movie writer »

Running: Libre Office/Version: 6.0.7.3/Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10/CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3.. in a well secured LinuxMint 19.3..

Sometimes when I click on an .odt word file, up comes a pop-up that reads ‘recover remote copy’ or 'not recovered yet'.. Does that mean the file contains damaging data? I click it off, then back up, and usually it opens without the warning pop-up.. How do I configure LibreWriter to ensure that my private LibreWriter notes aren’t being uploaded by an unscrupulous moralless baddie(s)?

Then while I registered to this forum, and went back to this note, I find the image code in registration “1DEJZZO” is auto-pasted into this note.. Who and what did that? Is someone at LibreOffice or LinuxMint doing this nastiness? Is it a cult thing doing it, or just a software glitch in LibreWriter in LinuxMint? Does LibreOffice connect to the Internet by itself? Can LiberOfficeWriter be 100% disconnected from the Web permanently? Does someone upload copies of my notes to someone somewhere? Do bad people hackers find it easy to target and exploit LibreWriter?
I author new movie, cartoon, and video-game scripting and themes.. I sure don’t want kookoo thieves stealing my notes.. Is LibreWriter safe for a creative writer to use for proprietary work?
Sometimes when I post a LibreWriter compilation on the internet, and save a copy of my post’s corrections from the Web, the notes paste all distorted with bits of the note duplicated and inserted duplicated throughout the note, and included links duplicated and scattered throughout the post (especially in YouTube).. What can I do to prevent that silly infantile irritating hackish bullying?

Then I went into my email account to complete the registration, and I see the email is in Spam folder, and contains a warning header “This email has failed its domain's authentication requirements. It may be spoofed or improperly forwarded!”.. Who or what is messing with me? Why? Just wondering.. Just asking... Does anyone else experience these weird glitches?

Edit: Changed subject, was Is this a hacker doing this nasty stuff? 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libre Office/Version: 6.0.7.3/Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10/CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3.. in a secured LinuxMint 19.3..
RusselB

Re: Is this a hacker doing this nasty stuff? Can it be stopp

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While I haven't seen "recover remote copy" in regards to Open/LibreOffice, I have seen it in regards to other computer usage, where there has been a remote storage facility.
As to "not recovered yet", this usually means that the file in question wasn't closed properly, usually due to the hasty shut down of the computer that was being used.
This is common with laptop users that close Open/LibreOffice and then close the laptop lid, without waiting for the file handling processes to complete.
These processes take longer than with M$Office due to the storage method used in the file.
Neither OpenOffice or LibreOffice accesses the internet directly. Even the "Check for Updates" feature only checks if there is an update available. You still have to manually download and install the update.

Regarding the compilations that you put on the internet, technically that is a different problem and should've been posted in a different topic, per the forum rule of "One problem - One topic", however, the differences you are seeing may (and probably are) due to the coding differences that the internet uses. They are complex and not always compatible with what you are expecting.
As to the e-mail problem, that's a first for me.
Generally speaking, LibreWriter is safe for what you have described, however, once you put that work to the internet, I'm not sure about the proprietary requirements. That is a query involving the law and I'm not a lawyer.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cross posted at https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/it-seems- ... pped/70485

If you cross post, please let us know that you have done so, otherwise it leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Topic locked as OP claims to have solved the problem - see the AskLO link for details.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers