OpenOffice.org internal error 2909

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
lukjan

OpenOffice.org internal error 2909

Post by lukjan »

welcome

I cannot install oo.org 2.4.1 pl (different versions also), on the laptop computer. during the installation an announcement appears (like on the screen), a few hundred announcements. how I am pressing ok(enter all the time), it in the end will install itself. and here the other problem how, I want to uninstall through add or remove programs, it is an entire program he is staying on the disc, but he is stepping down from the list of programs.
oo.org.jpg
Łukasz Janik
Phil
Volunteer

Re: openoffice internal error 2909

Post by Phil »

Hi,

this is not an OpenOffice error, but a MS Windows Installer error, see Windows Installer Error Messages.
Are you using Win2k or WinXP?

Do you have the current version of MSI running? It should be distributed via Microsoft Update. You may also want to check KB Article 893803.
You could also try to run the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility which is available in KB Article 290301.
Finally, you could try to run a registry cleaning utility like CCleaner.
lukjan wrote:it is an entire program he is staying on the disc, but he is stepping down from the list of programs.
Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?

Regards,
phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
lukjan

Post by lukjan »

I tried everything
Łukasz Janik
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

OK, and what is the result? :?:
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
lukjan

Post by lukjan »

the same :(
Łukasz Janik
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Are you running Windows XP oder Windows 2000?

Do you have all current patches installed (available via Windows Update)?

Regards, phil
lukjan

Post by lukjan »

windows xp. yes, all patches.
Łukasz Janik
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you try to install the English installer and then the language pack? see here: Change language for user interface (menus & help files). Perhaps your localized version is corrupted.

NB: no need to quote whole posts, only quote if you want to answer a specific part of the post.

Moved your thread in the Windows forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lukjan

Post by lukjan »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Can you try to install the English installer and then the language pack?
I also tried.

I will be doing the c format
Łukasz Janik
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

I get the same error. Both in US and NL version of 3.0.

I have winxp pro (US) and have all win updates.

I have no problems with any other program.

I dont have virii/spyware.

I did disable explorer integration/autostart and auto-update component in the installer, cause I hate stuff like that.

Rebooting doesn't change anything.

Can't you just use a normal installer instead of stupid ms crap? It's begging for weird errors like this...
Last edited by bugmenot on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Try running the windows install cleanup http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. Point it at any old OOo installation listed and let it run the cleanup.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

I get spammed with internal error 2908 when I try to install/use that.

I don't have any OO installations in my software-list or program files directory anymore.

I just tried installing another .msi (Virtualbox installer), it worked fine.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

What do you mean you get spammed by 2908 errors? Microsoft suggests this http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;299777.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi bugmenot,

do you have the current version of MSI running? It should be distributed via Microsoft Update. You may also want to check KB Article 893803.
You could also try to run a registry cleaning utility like CCleaner.

You could also try to temporarily disable any security software (antivirus/antispyware/firewall) that may interfere with the installation.
bugmenot wrote:Can't you just use a normal installer instead of stupid ms crap? It's begging for weird errors like this...
Please note that there are no developers here, we are all users and volunteers that try to help other users.
To report bugs or problems, you need to file an issue.

Therefore I cannot tell why developers have chosen Microsoft Installer. However, the OpenOffice community certainly not being fond of Microsoft, there must have been a technical reason.
Apart from that, I have never encountered problems with the Microsoft Installer so far.

Kind regards,
phil
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

thomasjk wrote:What do you mean you get spammed by 2908 errors? Microsoft suggests this http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;299777.
It means that I can get error-notifications and when I click 'ok', the next error-notification pops up. And it goes on like that.

Have you read your own link? It's about win98/winme and office 2000.
Phil wrote:Hi bugmenot,

do you have the current version of MSI running? It should be distributed via Microsoft Update. You may also want to check KB Article 893803.
You could also try to run a registry cleaning utility like CCleaner.

You could also try to temporarily disable any security software (antivirus/antispyware/firewall) that may interfere with the installation.
Yes, I have all win updates. I'm not gonna mess with my registry for this. Everything else works fine and I don't want to break something else. This windows install is only a few weeks old and I have only installed a few programs that I'm used to. I don't think my registry would need cleaning. I don't have security software that interferes with the installation (I use a on-demand virusscanner only). Also, all other software installs/works fine.

Thanks for all the help. I'm giving up on this, I also seem to be the only one with the problem, so it must be something specific to me instead of a general problem I guess...
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

It's really strange, especially when taking into account that it is quite a "fresh" Windows installation.
The last idea I have is that it is some problem with user rights in the registry confined to the key branch for OpenOffice. However I agree this is quite unlikely.
But you could check the rights if you are familiar with the registry.

And one last idea: You could try an administrative install with the appropriate mode of Windows installer.
The wiki article How to run different OpenOffice.org versions in parallel describes how to proceed.

And, if even that fails, you could use the portable version. Currently, only 2.4.1 is available, but I would expect 3.0 quite soon.

Good luck!
phil
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

The admin install worked. I'll just use that :) Thanks.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

You're welcome, nice to hear it worked out! 8-)

However, I do not understand what the problem is. :? But maybe we do not need to...
The solution is fine, I do not see any difference in behavior compared to the normal install.

Regards, phil
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

I only need to find out how to get file associations. I guess I can just 'open with' and then choose the appropriate openoffice-application and select to always use the selected program.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

bugmenot wrote:I only need to find out how to get file associations.
Right, that is a characteristic of the administrative install. Forgot to mention that!
bugmenot wrote:I guess I can just 'open with' and then choose the appropriate openoffice-application and select to always use the selected program.
Exactly.
Or go to the Windows Explorer options and define the associations for the OpenOffice files manually.

As far as I know, you should make sure that the appropriate subprogram is chosen, i.e. "swriter" for .odt, "scalc" for .ods, "simpress" for .odp etc.
But it may also work if you use the general program entry "OpenOffice.org 3.0".

Regards, phil
bugmenot

Re: OpenOffice internal error 2909

Post by bugmenot »

wtf, neither of those 2 options worked. When I chose "open with" I could point it to swrite.exe, but then it wouldn't show up in that list you have to choose from, like it normally would.

Through folder options, it already had made the file associations, but for some reason they just didn't work. Trying to delete them and re-make them didn't work.

Weird stuff! I'm thinking of re-installing windows, cause this is just bs...
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

bugmenot wrote:When I chose "open with" I could point it to swrite.exe, but then it wouldn't show up in that list you have to choose from, like it normally would.
This may be due to the fact that you did the adminstrative install: The applications are not registered like they are in a normal install.
But there should be a button that allows you to navigate to the path where the appropriate programs files are (swriter.exe, scalc.exe, etc.) (normally C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program.
bugmenot wrote:Through folder options, it already had made the file associations, but for some reason they just didn't work.
That's really weird. No idea what's happening there. :?
bugmenot wrote:I'm thinking of re-installing windows, cause this is just bs...
That would be an idea, however it is probably the last solution...

Best regards, phil
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

Phil wrote:
bugmenot wrote:When I chose "open with" I could point it to swrite.exe, but then it wouldn't show up in that list you have to choose from, like it normally would.
This may be due to the fact that you did the adminstrative install: The applications are not registered like they are in a normal install.
But there should be a button that allows you to navigate to the path where the appropriate programs files are (swriter.exe, scalc.exe, etc.) (normally C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program.

Yah, that's the problem. I navigated to that dir and selected the swriter.exe, after which normally it would return to the list of programs with swriter.exe in the list and being selected. However, swriter.exe was not on the list, even after I just pointed to it. Very weird.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

I must admit that in this case I am at my wit's end. :?

Did you try the other .exe (scalc.exe, simpress.exe, ...)?
You could also try soffice.exe - maybe that works?
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

simpress.exe does work. And opening .odt's with simpress automatically starts swriter.exe instead it seems, so it's working well enough for me now (but still weird ;))
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Makes me remember of that indeed: [Solved] OOo 3 Beta Win XP: file association problem, [Solved] OOo-Dev300m2: File types not associated). Difficult to file a report if it can't be reproduced easily. Maybe some key in the registry.

In fact, you could even remove the extension of ODF files: the header of the file will tell OOo what's the component to be used.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

Just in case someone else finds this thread: http://www.add-in-express.com/creating- ... rror-2908/ solved it for me.
manolomalaga

Re: OpenOffice.org internal error 2909

Post by manolomalaga »

Hi, I had the same problem.

To solve: Update all Windows Updates, included hiden updates.

Install previous Aoo versión, then install last version of Aoo.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7