[Solved] MS Word document content removed when renamed

Discuss the word processor
barrygale

[Solved] MS Word document content removed when renamed

Post by barrygale »

I created a Word document (.doc) from a template. After saving the document I changed the name of the document in the folder. The document still has the same size but when I open it only the first of 7 pages and the first line of that page can be seen. Is there any way of recovering the previous content of the file?

Thank you for your help and advice John Ha. The converted file can be deleted.

Thank you also to Bill. That solves the problem and explains where the missing text went to.

Just after posting the request I found that I was able to open the file, complete text with formatting, using File -> Preview in Web Browser, and then save the file as .odt. This also solved the problem.
Last edited by barrygale on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 8
Hagar Delest

Re: Word document content removed when renamed

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't think so. Have you filled in more than the first line still available?
That's the problem with external formats like .doc/.docx that were not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office.
Can you upload the template so that we see what are the items that are missing after the save (see: How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I don't know why but there is text in the file which does not display. I was able to recover the text in text.odt.

You should not save documents as .doc files - see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for the many reasons why, and why you should always keep the master copies of your work in .odt files.

Please let us know when you have downloaded the file so it and the original can be deleted for privacy reasons.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

[File deleted]
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There are 3 rows in the table in the .doc file. The top and bottom rows are set to "Fit to size", but the middle row is not. Select the whole table and set all rows "Fit to size".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] MS Word document content removed when renamed

Post by Hagar Delest »

Ah, well done. Should have tried a bit more. I don't remember seeing the usual red triangle telling there is content that could not be displayed (with LO on my Windows 10 machine).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill wrote:There are 3 rows in the table in the .doc file. The top and bottom rows are set to "Fit to size", but the middle row is not. Select the whole table and set all rows "Fit to size".
Bill
How do you do that? I cannot find any way to do it.

I applied cell boundaries and discovered something funny - the border between the top and bottom row was twice as thick as I expected. I wondered if a row had been set with zero height so I selected the table > r-click > Rows > Space equally. This brought a new Row 2 into view. It was pages deep and had all the text in it.

The .doc created two tables when saved as a .odt file so I strongly suspect the file has been corrupted. I would copy the text out of it and start a new, clean file.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

John_Ha wrote:How do you do that? I cannot find any way to do it.
Select the whole table and use the Table toolbar button for line sizing.

Note that the MS Word rendering is even more misleading, it does not even show any thicker border unless you zoom in quite a bit.
MS Word.png
MS Word.png (11.01 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:How do you do that? I cannot find any way to do it.
After the table has been selected, either use Table > AutoFit > Row height to get to the "Fit to size" option or use Table > AutoFit > Optimal Row Height which seems to make the default row height close to 0 and enables the "Fit to size" option for all selected rows.

Another alternative is to click in the bottom row, press the up arrow key to move the cursor to the second row, then hold down Alt and press the down arrow key. This increases the row height and turns on the "Fit to size" option for the second row.

I don't know if there is some corruption in the .doc file, but AOO has crashed a few times when working with the .doc file. I've also saved the .doc file in .odt format and haven't seen any crashes when working with the .odt file.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Bill wrote: don't know if there is some corruption in the .doc file, but AOO has crashed a few times when working with the .doc file. I've also saved the .doc file in .odt format and haven't seen any crashes when working with the .odt file.
There have been reports of instability when tables extend over multiple pages - I recollect one case on Forum where there was a 40+ page table. This document has a table extending over 7(?) pages, which may produce the crash. I'd chance a two page table, but if I had a many page table my instinct would be to move to separate (identical) tables for each page. However, I don't use tables, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] MS Word document content removed when renamed

Post by John_Ha »

Bill, Hagar

Thanks. I was missing the Table > Select > Table ..., step. After selecting the table, the menu in the Table bar becomes Optimise > Distribute rows equally. The Distribute rows equally option was greyed out until I select the table.

Also, after fixing it, setting the row height to 0.1cm causes it again.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:There have been reports of instability when tables extend over multiple pages - I recollect one case on Forum where there was a 40+ page table.
I suspect other causes rather than mere length.

I have just put eight chapters of Vanity Fair into a table and it extended to 57 pages. Initial page layout was slow and it kept pausing while scrolling but after that is was fine.

I often find that tables in master/sub documents split across several pages leaving large gaps between the bits. On thinking about it, the gaps are probably as a result of the slow page layout.
Attachments
big table.odt
(113.26 KiB) Downloaded 81 times