[Solved] Trying to save a doc in Microsoft Word form?

Discuss the word processor
MickeyLee Fischer

[Solved] Trying to save a doc in Microsoft Word form?

Post by MickeyLee Fischer »

I've written a book and am now using the Apache Open Writer. I need to save it as a Microsoft Word format but when I try to save it under the new format, it only saves about half the book. Does this mean the file is to big? How can I save the complete document in Microsoft Word to send it to my publisher? Many thanks to whomever answers this plea for help. My email addy is [redacted] if you would rather contact me that way.

MickeyLee
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon May 18, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Michele L Fischer
It's Open Office TM 4, I run Windows 7 on my pc.
RusselB

Re: Trying to save a doc in microsoft word form?

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
My first question has to be, which Microsoft Word format did you try saving it in?
The standard extension for a Microsoft Word document is .doc, however there's (at least) 3 versions of Microsoft Word .doc formats.
If you have tried all three options that OpenOffice Writer is capable of saving in, and none of them work, then you could try downloading and installing LibreOffice which will open your .odt book but has the ability to save in the .docx Microsoft Word format. Please note that, like the .doc, there are different versions of .docx and LibreOffice Writer can only save (I believe) in one of them, but I don't know which one.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

What do you mean by half the book... what/which half parts are/aren't being saved? What program do you open it up again in to only get half the book?

Word can open OpenOffice odt file so try opening it in Word as an odt and see whether you get all of it... and saving to the Word format from there if necessary.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If one must use .doc format, the best choice is to select Word 97/2000/XP. using the dropdown for File type in the File Save as dialog. The other two .doc formats offered are very outdated and, in my opinion, irrelevant.

It is best always, repeat _ALWAYS_, to work and save in .odt format; when the document is complete it might then be saved in .doc format if that is deemed essential.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files, as .odt.

If your publisher stupidly asks for a .doc file then challenge them. If they refuse to change then save a copy of your master .odt file as a .doc file and continue to work on the .odt file.

Be aware that layout may change, images may move and other problems may occur when you make your copy .doc file.

LibreOffice has better compatibility with .doc files than AOO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MickeyLee Fischer

Re:(Solved) Trying to save a doc in microsoft word form?

Thank you all for your information it was very helpfull and I was able to save the whole book as Word 97/2000/XP. If I have any other questions, I'll be back. To answer a couple of questions you guy's had, It was only saving 179 pages of a 245 page book, I still don't know why it wouldn't save the whole document but one of you suggested Word 97/2000/XP and that did the trick. Now I can send it to my publisher with confidence.

Thank you,

MickeyLee
Michele L Fischer
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Be aware that transfer to .doc format may confuse elaborate formatting.
MickeyLee Fischer

Re:(Solved) Trying to save a doc in microsoft word form?

Thanks for the info, but it's all text, no graphics at all.
MickeyLee
Michele L Fischer
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Read the tutorial to see the sort of problems you may get.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MickeyLee Fischer

Re: [Solved] Trying to save a doc in Microsoft Word form?

John,
I will do that at my first opportunity.
Thanks,
MickeyLee
Michele L Fischer
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Send your documents as PDF unless you absolutely have to co-edit documents with users of MS Word.
If co-editing is inevitable:
Always save your own work as odt and send out doc copies. Save the next document you receive as odt before you start working on it. This way you keep the docs in your emails and a working copy in the native format of the application you are using. This is best practice with any application producing complex file formats.
Btw: Word supports odt.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If they do not _need_ to edit, send a PDF. If they do need to edit, you should work in .odt format, then, when ready to send, Save As Word 97/12000/XP, although most versions of MS Word since 2007 can read .odt format, but many users of MS Word do not know this and do not know how to tell MS Word to open that format.
wouter willers

Post by wouter willers »

The problem is that I cannot send it as an Word 97/2000XP file, it doesn't show in the possibilities
WW
MacOsBig Sur 11.1
Open Office 4.1.8
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try again: use /File /Save as, and when you drop down the File Type dorpdown you should find Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP immediately below the four OpenOffice formats on the selection.
wouter willers

Post by wouter willers »

That was always the case, but since the new version, only
-ODF- hoofddocument (.odm)
- OpenOffice XML 1.0 hoofddocument (.sxg)
- Tekst gedoneerd (Open Office Masterdocument) (.txt)
is shown
WW
MacOsBig Sur 11.1
Open Office 4.1.8
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

An immediate solution may be to use
http://www.zamzar.com
free online conversion service and send an .odt file, selecting to convert to .doc.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think that the topic has been badly split (single post and not onwards).
Thus I lock this one. No good idea to resurrect old topics sometimes.
see: Trying to save a doc in Microsoft Word form?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10