[Solved] User Profiles to Include OS and Oo Version

Let us know how we are doing -
Bhikkhu Pesala

[Solved] User Profiles to Include OS and Oo Version

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I thought there were plans to make this information available. It would save a lot of time if every member has to enter this essential information in their profile, then we don't need to ask for it every time.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
acknak

Re: User Profiles to Include OS and Oo Version

Post by acknak »

Wow, that would be great if it could be made part of the registration process--added to the profile or something, so the information was always available.

One problem with putting it in the signature is that it won't be saved with the message. I.e. if someone later upgrades to a new version, and changes their sig, then the updated info will be wrong for old messages which now display the updated signature.

It's important for the info current to the problem to somehow be included in the message.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:if someone later upgrades to a new version, and changes their sig, then the updated info will be wrong for old messages which now display the updated signature.

It's important for the info current to the problem to somehow be included in the message.
Yes, up to the poster/tester to do it. Personally, I always mention the configuration I use when I make a test so that the information is available afterwards.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Corfy
Volunteer

Post by Corfy »

acknak wrote:One problem with putting it in the signature is that it won't be saved with the message. I.e. if someone later upgrades to a new version, and changes their sig, then the updated info will be wrong for old messages which now display the updated signature.
I have another problem with keeping that information in the profile.

In essence, I have three computers that are all dual-boot... my work laptop (WinXP Pro and Kubuntu), my wife's personal laptop (WinXP Home and Kubuntu), and our home desktop (WinXP Home and Kubuntu). I have OpenOffice.org installed on all "six" of them. I'd like to say that I keep them all up-to-date, but that isn't always the case. So... which combo would I put in my profile?
---
Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
OOo 2.4 on K/Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and WinXP Pro and Home
Repossess your computer!
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hmm, another good point.

I wonder--is there any way to add some kind of reminder, or required fields, to the message entry screen?

Perhaps an initial text in the message text box?
Please include your system information with your post:

OOo version:
It would be easy enough to delete if it wasn't appropriate.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Corfy wrote:I have three computers that are all dual-boot...
Maybe use two OUCV profiles, one for your Windows installations and one for your Kubuntu installations.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

Though this would be helpful we have to remember our target audience.

People not as computer savvy as us :D
People who only come to this site infrequently :shock:
People who just want the answer to their blankity blank problem and don't want to spend 15 minutes filling out a profile :evil:

First group, if it is a problem / question which is very basic, they may not need to supply that information. If they do, they may need to be prompted for how to gather that data. Also, not likely to know they need to update information on profile if they subsequently upgrade computer/software. Possibly causing even more confusion when we try to answer questions about a setup or version they were previously using, not the one they are having problems with now.

Second group, not likely to update profile if they only come here once a month. See above for problems that might cause.

Third group, answer kind of says it all, though a pain, let 'em register and get the initial question asked. If necessary ask for required information.

I think it would be valuable, but... (Hmm, if we could pull that information off their computer? But wait, they may not be posting from the computer with the problem. We would also get into legal issues of privacy if we did that.)

Even we might forget to update our information when we upgrade our OS or OO.o version...
Ron from Iowa, USA