[Solved] Install on LinuxMint-Version 20 - Cinnamon

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Cherock

[Solved] Install on LinuxMint-Version 20 - Cinnamon

Post by Cherock »

Does anybody have a step by step to install AOO on a LinuxMint 20 (Ulyana)?

My skills on CLI is not good, never learned to use CLI, I always used GUI. I guess it is time to start to learn how CLI works. Basically I need a how to install from start to finish with what code or GUI to use and what the syntax has to be written to install AOO, the latest version 4.1.7. Any help you can provide, I would deeply appreciate.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
I have LinuxMint 20 - Cinnamon loaded alongside Windows 10 - Pro. I use LinuxMint 20 all of the time.
FJCC

Re: Install on LinuxMint-Version 20 - Cinnamon

Post by FJCC »

Have you seen this tutorial?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your linux Mint may have an already provided LibreOffice.

If you require OpenOffice, it will install easily - I've used it on Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives from 8.04 on; I install on all my computers using the method below (which I can do in my sleep). I suggest you print this out to have in front of you.

Start a Terminal - I think you should find this under Accessories in Ubuntu as "Terminal Emulator"

In the terminal type

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge libreoffice*
Note that the the trailing * is important.

Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/ and download the version you require - I will assume you are downloading the standard en-US version Linux 64-bit x86-64 (DEB)

When the file is downloaded

cd Downloads  
tar vxf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
 Edit: I have corrected a line above by deleting an erroneous / before Downloads 
It will extract the files - these are normally extracted to a sub directory of the Downloads folder, in this case called en-US.

Now, in your terminal manoeuvre to that sub folder. This is by the following commands; in your case rory will be replaced by your logon name.

cd /home/rory/Downloads/en-US

cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
When that has completed, do this

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Do not omit this last change of directory and the repeat of the sudo command, as this puts links for OpenOffice into your Office group.
Also note that in linux caps/lowercase are important

It takes longer to write out all this than it actually takes to do!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Cherock

Post by Cherock »

Rory, you make it look so easy. I am going to try this in the next couple of hours to see what happens. I appreciate all the time it took for you to post. I will respond back on the results. Thank You !!
RoryOF wrote:Your linux Mint may have an already provided LibreOffice.

If you require OpenOffice, it will install easily - I've used it on Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives from 8.04 on; I install on all my computers using the method below (which I can do in my sleep). I suggest you print this out to have in front of you.

Start a Terminal - I think you should find this under Accessories in Ubuntu as "Terminal Emulator"

In the terminal type

sudo apt purge libreoffice*
Note that the the trailing * is important.

Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/ and download the version you require - I will assume you are downloading the standard en-US version Linux 64-bit x86-64 (DEB)

When the file is downloaded

cd Downloads
tar vxf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
It will extract the files - these are normally extracted to a sub directory of the Downloads folder, in this case called en-US.

Now, in your terminal manoeuvre to that sub folder. This is by the following commands; in your case rory will be replaced by your logon name.

cd /home/rory/Downloads/en-US

cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
When that has completed, do this

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Do not omit this last change of directory and the repeat of the sudo command, as this puts links for OpenOffice into your Office group.
Also note that in linux caps/lowercase are important

It takes longer to write out all this than it actually takes to do!
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Size modification tag removed to improve general readability
I have LinuxMint 20 - Cinnamon loaded alongside Windows 10 - Pro. I use LinuxMint 20 all of the time.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

cd /Downloads might be wrong because there might be no Downloads directory below your file system's root directory which is /
cd Downloads (if you are in your home directory already)
or
cd ~/Downloads (explicitly Downloads within your home directory ~)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Cherock

Post by Cherock »

Libreoffice can't be found, but it is in my listing of applications.
Attachments
Why is Libreoffice not found, because it is in my listing of applications in LinuxMint.
Why is Libreoffice not found, because it is in my listing of applications in LinuxMint.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Keep LO installed. It is definitively the better office suite. Why do you want to install OpenOffice anyway?

In order to install AOO as primary suite while keeping LO you perform the last step like this:

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite *.deb
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Cherock

Post by Cherock »

The problem with LO is, it will NOT work like it is supposed to work, especially with Calc. The formulas show, but you run f9 to calculate, it does not. So I will not use it. AOO does work in Windows 10-Pro and should work the same in Linux.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If the formulas are showing, rather than the results, check the entry accessed via Tools -> Options (Alt+F12) -> LibreOffice Calc -> View -> Display -> Formulas
If that is checked, then uncheck it and you should see the results of your formulas rather than the formulas.
If that isn't checked, then verify that the cells haven't been formatted as text using the @ symbol under custom formatting.

If you are checking for OpenOffice, the same procedure can be used, with the exception of the fact that the entry LibreOffice Calc will read OpenOffice Calc
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Thank you, Villeroy; I had not noticed the intrusive / before Downloads. I have removed it in the original code sequence.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Cherock wrote:The problem with LO is, it will NOT work like it is supposed to work, especially with Calc. The formulas show, but you run f9 to calculate, it does not. So I will not use it. AOO does work in Windows 10-Pro and should work the same in Linux.
Happens rarely when editing formulas referring to filtered rows: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=135125
This will be fixed. Hardly anything will ever be fixed in a walking dead project such as AOO.

btw. I can not reproduce the problem with LO6.0 nor 7.0