How to create your own font? | How to flip/mirror any font?

Talk about anything at all....
omolo7

How to create your own font? | How to flip/mirror any font?

Post by omolo7 »

This is more of a general question, but I feel as if should ask it here in this forum since I am an OpenOffice user

I am tired of how fonts are often enough represented (since I am a left as well as right handed and I write Hebrew, as well as Japanese) and I want to know how to best flip and mirror any letter, kanji, sign or font. I don't know if it is already possible to flip each UTF-8 entry to where you can easily mirror the whole document by the press of a button, which is why I am asking this question.

If the UTF-encoding wasn't created for such a unusual use case and there is no way to do it, than I would at least like to know how I can create my own font/encoding. I mean, is there a book that I can read, or where can I find resources. For example, I would like to know how the encoding and the representation of characters is implemented in OpenOffice, in the sense that I would like to know the language the editor is written in, what kind of libraries are used and how to code a basic, bare bone, minimal editor from scratch.

Again, any information is helpful, because my question is a rather general one and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could guide me in the right direction. I already have a book by Yannis Haralambous on Fonts and Encoding, maybe some of you may even know more books and titles on this topic, like very specific titles, which aren't programming agnostic but rather very specific, say for example for the C language or Java.

Anyhow, I hope I could stress some of the view points of mine which often enough come to mind; Lord willing someone is answering and contributing to my quest of mirroring ultimately not just documents but whole interfaces platform independent by a press of a button.

Thank you
OpenOffice 4 on Linux
RoryOF

Re: How to create your own font? | How to flip/mirror any fo

Post by RoryOF »

FontForge is a well respected font editor running on linux. You could probably automate it to produce a mirrored version of a font.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
omolo7

Post by omolo7 »

:super: Thank's again RoryOF
OpenOffice 4 on Linux
DayGlittering

Post by DayGlittering »

You can also try BirdFont - https://birdfont.org/ or Glyphr Studio - https://www.glyphrstudio.com/online/ (no need to download, online version)
Last edited by DayGlittering on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS
omolo7

Post by omolo7 »

Thank you DayGlittering, I will check it out.

Any other ideas or tips pertaining to this post here? Any help is greatly appreciated
OpenOffice 4 on Linux