[Solved] Protecting a sheet from copying OpenOffice Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jeevanthara

[Solved] Protecting a sheet from copying OpenOffice Calc

Post by jeevanthara »

I have made an Open office Calc document and protected it from editing using password. Then i created a new file and insert this sheet to new ods file using( Insert- Sheet from file-) i notice that the sheet which was protected from editing is editable. How can we prevent this from happening
Last edited by jeevanthara on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.6

Ubuntu 12.1.14
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Protecting a sheet from copying Open Office Calc

Post by Lupp »

Sorry. Your description is incomplete and inconsistent:
You protected "it" (the document).
Then you "inserted"... How?
"this sheet"... What's meant by "this" now - as opposed to the "it" above?

This is a question without any reasonable answer as long as it isn't clear what you actually did, what you expected, and in what way exactly the attempt failed.

Assuming you protected one sheet, and copied it to a different document using the respective item from the context menue of the sheet's tab:
I cannot confirm what you describe with AOO V 4.1.7. I find the copied sheet protected with the password I had set for it in its original position.

If you created a new sheet in the other document, and then used Copy/Paste for the all-sheet selection in the sheet originally protected, you shouldn't expect the result to be protected: Sheet protection isn't a property of the sheet's content, but of the sheet itself - and the sheet was neither copied nor moved in this case.

If you actually protected the document, its sheets never were protected against editing. The protection then concerns the document's overall structure: Number, names and order of the sheets.
Last edited by Lupp on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
jeevanthara

Post by jeevanthara »

I have an ods document. To prevent the document from being edited I locked the cells using Tools-> Protect Document ->Sheet

I created a new ods document with difference name. Then i clicked Insert-> From Sheet from file and selected the the file which is protected
Open Office 4.1.6

Ubuntu 12.1.14
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(No offense intended!)
You aren't a friend of precise statements, are you?

By sheet protection you cannot protect a document ("from being edited"), but only contents and formatting of cells or cell ranges (inside the protected sheet) for which the Protection property was set or, being the default, never was removed.

Using >Insert Sheet...>From file you need to select one of the sheets - and this is the case where actually the sheet protection not is copied by AOO.

You may judge this behaviour to be a bug - and actually it was qualified as a bug by the Libreoffice developers. They fixed it. In recent LibO versions the protection will also persist when inserting a sheet From file.
If you want to stick to AOO I only can suggest you enforce the protection anew.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
jeevanthara

Post by jeevanthara »

OK.Thank you
Open Office 4.1.6

Ubuntu 12.1.14