Any campaign to promote Ooo 3.0 ?

Talk about anything at all....
cyberkoa

Any campaign to promote Ooo 3.0 ?

Post by cyberkoa »

The release of Firefox 3.0 break the download record, although in reality , a lot of them only download but not using , this campaign has increase the publicity of Firefox.

Should we start some campaign to welcome Ooo 3.0 also ? Just a suggestion , don't shoot me :)
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + win XP
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Any campaign to promote Ooo 3.0 ?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't think there is anything to be gained by shouting loudly about the number of downloads. What is useful is to write a decent review of the new features in OpenOffice 3.0 after testing it fairly extensively yourself, and then post on various forums as I have done for PDF-XChange on My Opera, and elsewhere. Reviews on CNET or Download.com might reach a wider audience. The quality of the review is important — otherwise it is just dismissed as the usual fanboy stuff.

I suspect that several bugs will surface within the first month or two of public release, and it is rather embarrassing if one has promoted it heavily if those bugs are serious and people really would have been better off staying with Oo 2.4.1. Use it for a while first, and then start promoting it. My first impressions are good — I have one of the not so recent development versions, and am waiting for the official release before upgrading.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
nwsunni

Post by nwsunni »

I must, respectfully, disagree with the comment that loudly announcing the number of downloads of Firefox influences prospects to use the browser. I'm speaking as a PR/Marcom professional and academic. One of the cues of persuasion, as Cialidini refers to it, is that people are more likely to behave like others around them behave. While we could argue that concept all day long, what is certain is that human beings are influenced by the dynamics of the group and that when thousands upon thousands "do something," then it's far more likely that an individual will follow suit. So, yes, broadcasting far and wide the number of downloads of the latest version of Firefox will most certainly persuade others to download it. And if one found a method to cause huge numbers of people in general or within a niche to download/use OO, you'd see a change in the marketplace. Of course, one would need also to do battle with MS strategy for tying university campuses into the use of MS products only, but that's another message for some other time.

Sunni Freyer
Multiple installs on Win 7s
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:am waiting for the official release before upgrading.
Final release is on the mirrors now. After one day use, I've noticed that the bug for the cross-references to headings is still here. Performances seems to have been improved, especially loading (either files or the application itself).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Final release is on the mirrors now.
All I can find is RC4.
Idiot Compassion
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

OOo 3.2 on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:All I can find is RC4.
Installed on both W2k and xubuntu Hardy from a French mirror (NB: only RPMs available however for the moment).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thanks. Successfully installed.
Idiot Compassion