[Solved] Stop OpenOffice from starting automatically

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
AP777

[Solved] Stop OpenOffice from starting automatically

Post by AP777 »

Edit: Split from How to stop OpenOffice from starting automatically? 
Having the same issue.
OpenOffice not listed in Login Items, neither is the dock icon ticked to 'Open at Login'.
Yet OpenOffice launches at startup.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Macbook Air MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
RoryOF

Re: How to stop OpenOffice from starting automatically?

Post by RoryOF »

Tick that setting, restart OpenOffice, then untick that setting and restart again.

It has been known that sometimes OO is stubborn in taking a change to a setting, and the tick, restart, untick, restart sequence has been known to work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
AP777

Post by AP777 »

RoryOF wrote:Tick that setting, restart OpenOffice, then untick that setting and restart again.

It has been known that sometimes OO is stubborn in taking a change to a setting, and the tick, restart, untick, restart sequence has been known to work.
Thank you, this helped me to figure it out.

I went to Users & Groups > my Name > Login Items > clicked '+' > selected OpenOffice from the Applications list > then on the right hand side of where OpenOffice appears in Login Items, I ticked the box to 'Hide'.

I restarted and I can see that OpenOffice 'woke up' at Login (a small dot appeared under the dock icon), but it didn't automatically open any windows at start-up. So I'm happy with that.

I also took your advice RoryOF, and ticked 'Open at Login' in OO dock icon > then quit OO > then unticked 'Open at Login' again before restarting.

Thanks for your prompt reply RoryOF.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Macbook Air MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

AP777 wrote:OpenOffice not listed in Login Items, neither is the dock icon ticked to 'Open at Login'. Yet OpenOffice launches at startup.
Did you install from our website, or did you install malware? If the latter, remove the malware, asking for Apple's help if needed.
If you installed from our website you can verify the checksum, just to be safe. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q18/A18
Now install the correct software Q03/A03.
After you've installed our software, review Q48/A48.
If OpenOffice is starting now when you log in, reboot after unchecking Open at Login.
If OpenOffice is still starting with Open at Login unchecked, you have a MacOS problem, not an OpenOffice problem. OpenOffice is the victim, not the culprit. It's always MacOS that starts OpenOffice.
AP777 wrote:I went to Users & Groups > my Name > Login Items > clicked '+' > selected OpenOffice from the Applications list > then on the right hand side of where OpenOffice appears in Login Items, I ticked the box to 'Hide'.
You have not prevented OpenOffice from starting at Login, just hidden it. Review Q48/A48. You can verify that OpenOffice is not going to start with  → System Preferences → Users and Groups → Current User → Login Items. Remove any applications you don't want or don't recognize by selecting them and using the from +- at the bottom of the list. If you've installed malware, applications can start without being in the list. An Apple forum might help you correct the problem.
Blur.jpg
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).