Spreadsheet as attachment in email is opening as Excel

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
PattiLynn52

Spreadsheet as attachment in email is opening as Excel

Post by PattiLynn52 »

I have an Open Office spreadsheet that I am trying to send as an attachment in an email. It is saved as ods. However, when I try to open it after it has been attached to the email, it opens as an Excel spreadsheet, which I do not have on my computer, and the figures change to the wrong numbers. Why is this happening, and will the recipient see it as an Excel spreadsheet?

This is being attached for a business loan, so is quite important that the information is correct.

Help! THANKS!!
Open Office3.1 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Spreadsheet as attachment in email is opening as Excel

Post by Zizi64 »

However, when I try to open it after it has been attached to the email,
Did you tried to open the file from the email client software? Always download/save the attached files before you try to open them.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
PattiLynn52

Post by PattiLynn52 »

Yes, I saved the spreadsheet as a ods file. Then I went into my g.mail and attached the file to the email. When I open to review it before sending it, it opens as an Excel spreadsheet. But I don't have Excel. I only use the OpenOffice on my computer. Why is this happening?
Open Office3.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The File Associations on your computer may be set (whether by you or by Microsoft) to tell the computer to open the file using MS Office. Right click on an .xls file and select to always open with OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Then I went into my g.mail and attached the file to the email. When I open to review it before sending it, it opens as an Excel spreadsheet.
Do not open an attached document from an edited email directly.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.