Can copy but it will not paste into OpenOffice

Discuss the word processor
RichardPrincipal

Can copy but it will not paste into OpenOffice

Post by RichardPrincipal »

I can copy but will not paste into OpenOffice. (found work around)

I Can copy "from anything" and paste into a new "notepad" document, but still can not copy from that,and paste into openOffice

In the end I had to open up the *.odt file by "right click" and "SendTo" microsoft Wordpad that worked, so I saved that work under a new name *2.odt, (Good idea to do that otherwise some of the OpenOffice formats are lost) then I had to open both the original document I wanted the new paste to be inserted in, and also open up the new file *2.odt
Then I can copy my text from *2.odt and paste into *.odt.

While I have found a "work around" it would be good to get the answer on a fix.

Thank you and before you ask WHY have I got such a old version on OpenOffice, I will add I would LOVE the newest version, but every [time] I do a new version update it wrecks ALL my much HARD work I have put into making AutoCorrect useful.

[edit note changed to "time", plus some spelling correction]
Openoffice 4.1.13, Libreoffice 7.4.0.3 (x64) Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: can copy but it will not paste into OpenOffice. (found w

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It happens sometimes, not sure we have found a root cause.
Have you tried the Paste special? And then Text only?

There are several topics in the forum about that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RichardPrincipal

Re: Can copy but it will not paste into OpenOffice

Yes I always use for the "paste special" using the "unformatted text" option infact I would prefer that I could keep "unformatted text" as default option. because whenever I use "paste" option it always uses anything but "unformatted text" option, unless I know the copied text is unformatted,

so what I just said in different words I am saying the standard "paste" from the "Edit" drop down menu in my opinion is useless.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It has often been the case that failure to Paste directly into OpenOffice is caused by some other utility using the Clipboard. In the past, in its early days, Skype was found to cause such a problem, but I understand this has long been cured. There may be some other utility monitoring the clipboard, or applied to permit selections for the Paste history. Not using current Windows I cannot suggest further.
 Edit: Note that you can transfer your Autocorrects to a new version of OpenOffice. Use the Forum search (top right of Forum window) to search for autocorrect - there are several threads dealing with this. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I experience that also but i very particular cases (mostly copying from certain PDF files only).
You can use the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V shortcut. Else, change the standard Ctrl+V shortcut to paste special, unformatted text. Still workarounds however.

Does it happen always (pasting from any application) or just in some cases?
If always, there is definitively a problem with your configuration. Any application that could interfere with the clipboard?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A quick search suggests that Windows 10 has a "Clipboard History" utility, which can be turned on or off. This may be worth investigating.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

BTW, if you just paste with Ctrl+V, does it work? If a formatting is pasted in the mean time, you can remove it.
Note: some users also use PureText to handle the clipboard.
RichardPrincipal

yes been there done that I did use the "ctrl" + V then tried to get the text by "ctrl" + C to get the text (or Copy)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If Ctrl+V brings over unwanted formatting from the source, you can select the copied text and set it to the default format with Ctrl+M.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Have you got an example notepad or whatever document with text that fails to copy and paste into Writer (containing non-sensitive information only)?
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Notepad handles just raw text. The problem is rather with the content from the actual source application. If AOO, that's a bit strange. Never had any problem copying from AOO to AOO.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

The OP talks about copying and pasting from "notepad".

Without being able to replicate the problem (I've tried and can't)... requiring an example file/text... its all guessing around...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think there is a confusion between Wordpad and Notepad. Since the formatting is kept, I guess he's actually using Wordpad to save the file portion he needs to copy.
Would the "notepad" be a mere new Wordpad document?
RichardPrincipal

I started off with notepad to see if the "copy" was working, What is the point blaming OpenOffice if the copy did not copy?
Because Wordpad is a bit more advance than notepad, I opened up the *.odt document with wordpad to see if the paste would work (and it did)
I did not want to over ride the *.odt with Wordpad or that would mess up my special document format, But I did open both files with OpenOffice and transfer my wanted text from one to the other.

The next mission is to duplicate the issue and report it, if it does the same.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do a test in Safe Mode - Google for how to boot in Safe Mode. Does pasting now work OK? If so, it is one of the programs which starts when the PC boots causing the problem as the AOO clipboard is a bit flaky. Clipboard managers (those which keep more than one copied item) are notorious for causing problems.

Consider migrating to LibreOffice which is likely to be more stable. You can take your customisations to LO.
RichardPrincipal wrote:I would LOVE the newest version, but every [time] I do a new version update it wrecks ALL my much HARD work I have put into making AutoCorrect useful.
Upgrading or re-installing AOO (or LO) does not lose your AutoCorrect information. All your AOO AutoCorrects are stored in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\autocorr\ where mine is called acor_en-GB.dat.

1. Take a copy of C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\ "just in case"
2. Download AOO from https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
3. Install it.

You now have the new version complete with all your AutoCorrects, customisation, add-ons etc. If you don't - trust me, you will - then replace the new C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\ with the ...\user\ you saved.

NB - the files are hidden files. xxxx is your user name for Windows. See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for hidden files information.
RichardPrincipal wrote:Yes I always use for the "paste special" using the "unformatted text" option
See PureText - it's magic and works in any application.

Also Windows has Ctrl+SHIFT+V which offers a window with Unformatted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Clipboard managers (those which keep more than one copied item) are notorious for causing problems.
I use Ditto Clipboard manager which is free and have never had a problem - wouldn't be without one.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

JeJe

On Windows, the AOO clipboard is very sensitive to anything which "touches" it (ie makes an enquiry to it) which is something many clipboard managers (and some other programs) do. Search the forum with clipboard manager and you will find 67 threads about problems with copy/paste.

Also see Issue 113171 - OO does not paste the text contents of the Windows clipboard - instead, it pastes the previous text copied in OO where I reported some tests. For example, see Comment 2.
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue May 26, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There may be a difference in clipboard sensitivity between Win 8, which JeJe uses, and Win 10, which is used by the OP. But it is good to know that Ditto Clipboard manager, in the hands of an experienced user such as JeJe on Windows 8, does not cause the reported problem.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

I suspect Ditto Clipboard manager is a "good" one whereas many others are "bad" ones. Ruling out all clipboard managers is a good way to start diagnosing the OP's problem which is why I suggested booting in Safe Mode.

Comment 2 in my bug report above says
I am checking the Clipboard using MS Clipboard Viewer clipbrd.exe.

The delay only occurs if clipbrd.exe is started before OO. If OO is started before clipbrd.exe, the delay does not occur.

Please note that the original problem of OO pasting the previous contents occurs when clipbrd.exe is not running. I only use clipbrd.exe to assist debugging.

This delay with Clipboard viewers appears to be well known. Searching [Bugzilla] on 'copy paste delay' finds a number of issues including 49907.

Note that the user does not need to be running a Clipboard viewer to experience the delays because some applications apparently silently monitor the Clipboard without telling the user (by calls the MS API function called SetClipboardViewer().)

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Another thought. Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.