Save selected character set for DBase import

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Max S.

Save selected character set for DBase import

Post by Max S. »

Hi all,
I have a problem with dbf files.

When I open the dbf file, the "import DBase files" window appears.
Window "import DBase files"
Window "import DBase files"
I choose the right one character set. Then I work with the document, save it and close it. But when I open the next dbf file, I need to select the right one again character set. By default, when opening a dbf file in the "import DBase files" window, Western Europe (DOS / OS2-850 / International) is selected. Let's say I want Japanese (EUC-JP) to be selected by default in the "import DBase files" window.
2020-05-23_234607.jpg
How to do it?
I open a lot of dbf files, so not comfortable constantly looking for the right character set.
When I open a dbf file in LibreOffice, the same window appears. But the last choice is remembered there. Therefore, when I open another dbf file in LibreOffice, the desired character set is already selected and I just need to click ok and work with the file.

How to do the same in OpenOffice?

Thank you
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: Save selected character set
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Wndows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Save selected character set

Post by Zizi64 »

How to do the same in OpenOffice?
1.: Install and use the LibreOffice.
2.: Try to create (to record or to write) a macro for this task.
3.: Modify this feature in the source code of the open source Apache OpenOffice. (I think it: the developers of the AOO will not modify it...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Save selected character set

Post by Villeroy »

dBase is a database file format. You can do more with dBase when you use OpenOffice Base.
Calc may destroy *.dbf so the file may become unusable with a database program, for instance when Calc changes column types "on the fly".
Move your *.dbf files to a dedicated database directory.
menu:File>New>Database
Type: dBase
Specify the directory and the encoding once.
Register the database if you need to import data into text documents and sheets.
Save the database to the same directory or any other directory.
Every *.dbf file in the database directory will be shown as a database table with the same encoding.
Filtering and sorting is way easier than with Calc and you can store filtering and sorting as queries. Queries on dBase tables allow you to show any subset of rows and columns in any order of rows and columns without changing the underlying tables.
You can create nice input forms.
You can create report documents with a nice layout.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice