Restoring Recent documents list

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
RusselB

Restoring Recent documents list

Post by RusselB »

At some point last night my computer rebooted and when I went to use OpenOffice today I noticed that I had to provide the basic profile information.
Since this means that the user profile was deleted (not sure why), I'm wondering if there's a way to restore the information that was stored in that user profile.
I didn't have a lot of customization, but that list of recently accessed files is one I use a fair bit, so I was wondering if there's a way to restore that information to the newly created profile.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Restoring Recent documents list

Post by John_Ha »

RusselB wrote:Since this means that the user profile was deleted
Not quite.

What happened was the file C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu was corrupted or deleted, and so you were given a new, default and hence empty, one.

registrymodifications.xcu holds the Recently used files list ..., your name and initials etc, and perhaps other customisation. Open it with an XML editor and see.

If you have an old registrymodifications.xcu copy it back.

I doubt the rest of your profile was damaged.

You can recreate the list by opening a file you want on the list, make a trivial edit, and saving it. The list is of Saved files.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is the registrymodifications.xcu file held open during editing and closed when OO is properly closed, or is it merely updated at the end of a session (i.e., opened, updated, closed). The loss of it during a computer crash would lead me to believe that it is held open for the duration of an editing session.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I think it is just opened when something needs to be written because, if I start AOO, I can still open registrymodifications.xcu with Notepad++ suggesting it is not flagged as being open by AOO.

However, this seems to be contradicted by the observation that if I then make a change in AOO and close AOO without a problem Notepad++ then says that registrymodifications.xcu has been changed by another program which means Notepad++ does not flag it as being open.

If I attempt to open registrymodifications.xcu with AOO - a nice circular problem - AOO throws a Read Error.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.