[Solved] Modifying a label

Discuss the word processor
ntambomvu

[Solved] Modifying a label

Post by ntambomvu »

Hello Chaps
I am using writer to make labels for products.
Once a label layout has been made and saved - how do I reopen it to change the layout.?
Mainly to change the measurements between the labels
many thanks

fred

thanks all - problem is solved
Last edited by ntambomvu on Mon May 18, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 3.1 with windows 10
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: modifying a label

Post by erbsenzahl »

Hi,

have you created the labels with the label wizard and are they synchronized?

If yes, you could alter the first label (top left corner) which is the master label. Set off protection properties first...

Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
ntambomvu

Re: Modifying a label

Post by ntambomvu »

thanks erbenzahl, ,
I didnt know there were wizards? all i did was as follows
text document > file > New > labels >
then put in the sizes of the custom sized labels I am using
then save > enter the label format > then
New document and I have to copy and past into all the labels-
If there is a wizard for labels how do I find it ?
my wizard dropdown doesnt say anything about labels?
please help??
regards

fred
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

erbsenzahl wrote:have you created the labels with the label wizard and are they synchronized?
The synchronize button syncs the content after you edited the first frame. The other frames are linked to the first frame. See menu:Edit>Links...

If you have to change the layout (the arrangement of labels on the page), I think you have to create a new label document (and possibly copy the label content from the previous label document).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

ntambomvu wrote:Once a label layout has been made and saved - how do I reopen it to change the layout? Mainly to change the measurements between the labels.
By "change the layout" do you mean the settings in the File → New → Labels → Format dialog, shown below? If so, why do you want to change them? If not, what do you need to do? XY Problem
Label.png
ntambomvu wrote:I [didn't] know there were wizards?
File → New → Labels is the wizard.
ntambomvu wrote: I have to copy and [paste] into all the labels …
If you want to copy formatting to all of the labels, you will want the Synchronize Contents option in File → New → Labels → Options. Then only the upper left label is editable; the rest are in protected sections. You make formatting changes to the upper left label, then click the Synchronize Labels button on the screen. If you have no Synchronize Labels button, this suggests that you did not specify the Synchronize Contents option when building the labels. You should start over.
Sync.gif
However if you want to copy data to all the labels, this is done by filling them from your data source. Using Mail Merge has the details about using synchronized labels and using a data source.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
ntambomvu

Post by ntambomvu »

wow this all looks to good--
thank you all and I will return if I have more questions!!
I will work thru this at my leasure
many thanks

fred
ntambomvu

Post by ntambomvu »

Thanks for the input
MrProgrammer wrote:
ntambomvu wrote:Once a label layout has been made and saved - how do I reopen it to change the layout? Mainly to change the measurements between the labels.
By "change the layout" do you mean the settings in the File → New → Labels → Format dialog, shown below? If so, why do you want to change them? If not, what do you need to do? XY Problem
After printing the sheet of labels i notice that the positioning on the labels on the sheet does not exactly fit the cutouts and the sizes need to be tweaked
I want to "tweak " the settings by a small amount to get a good fit. ( my label sheet is A$ size and has 6 across and 15 down so the cumulative error means that the last rows do not match the labels

all my labels are graphics ( pictures of my logo with a phone number ) It would be great to be able to feed the data through a from a data table could i do this with a graphic?
regards

fred
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon May 18, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added proper quoting
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

ntambomvu wrote:After printing the sheet of labels i notice that the positioning on the labels on the sheet does not exactly fit the cutouts and the sizes need to be tweaked. I want to "tweak " the settings by a small amount to get a good fit.
The wizard builds a complex Writer document for the labels containing many frames and sections, as you can see using the Navigator. The wizard just creates the document and ends. In theory, you can adjust the positioning of the frames in Writer, but this woud be quite tedious since there is no wizard for changing the settings in an existing label document. If the settings were wrong, surely it will be much easier to start over with new measurements. You can probably copy/paste the content from the old upper left label to the new document so you don't need to create the fields anew and running the wizard will take less than a minute. Experiment if you like.
 Edit: Perhaps adjusting the frames is easier than it would first seem, since they are use the Labels frame style which has the AutoUpdate property, and a change to the first frame affects them all. Select the upper left frame then Format → Frame → Type → Width → {adjust} → Height → {adjust}. 
ntambomvu wrote:my labels are graphics ( pictures of my logo with a phone number ). It would be great to be able to feed the data through a from a data table could i do this with a graphic?
I seldom use Base, the component which connects Mail Merge with the data source. Some types of data sources can contain images, I believe. To investigate that further, you should open a topic in the Base forum. However I presume you only have one logo and one phone number, thus every image is the same. In that case there is no advantage to putting the image in the data source since you can just put it in the upper left label (Insert → Picture → From file) and use Synchronize Labels.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
ntambomvu

Post by ntambomvu »

Thanks Mr Programmer- i get your point- it is actually quite easy to create a new document but i am just being pedantic-
many thanks

regards fred
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

all my labels are graphics ( pictures of my logo with a phone number ) It would be great to be able to feed the data through a from a data table could i do this with a graphic?
This might be static content. Your logo with your phone number appears on every label, I suppose. A data table can fill each label with another data record, e.g. name and address of a receipient in case of address labels. Create a label with static content plus database fields for the variable content.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice