[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.7: Calc 'Bad Allocation' Crash

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ralphhosmer

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.7: Calc 'Bad Allocation' Crash

Post by ralphhosmer »

Computer: Lenovo A10-520-241CB with Intel i5-8400T 1.7 GHz CPU & 8 Gb RAM & Windows 10. I'm using OO 4.1.7, primarily working with CALC documents with 'LOTS' of Hyperlinks and Charts. I'm spending more time recovering from 'Crash' instances than actually working with the documents: Not all, but a large percent of the 'Crash' instances produces a "Bad Allocation" message.
1. I know that 'Bad Allocation' is a known problem (likely shared responsibility between Windows & Open Office). What plans are there to address/fix this problem (between Windows & Open Office)?
2. Does anyone (OO Forum) have experience using Microsoft Office 360 SpreadSheets? If so, is the 'Bad Allocation' problem present with MS Office 360?
I've been using Open Office since prior to 2015 and I don't want to switch to MS Office 360, but frustration with 'CRASH' problems is getting out of hand.
11.May.2020 EDIT: "Bad Allocation" problem is a Windows 10 / Microsoft problem (NOT Open Office) per recent MS Forum postings.
Last edited by ralphhosmer on Mon May 11, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: Open Office 4.1.7: Windows 10: CALC 'Bad Allocation' Cra

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot help with your question about Office 360, but one piece of information you could give, which might be helpful for a solution is this:

What graphics chip is used in your computer?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the Calc forum with bad allocation. There are 5 or 6 threads about it on the Calc Forum first page!

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ralphhosmer

Post by ralphhosmer »

Computer is Lenovo 'All-in-One Desktop' Strait from the factory in China. Could not locate any info on 'Graphics Chip'.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10 Home