[Solved] Matching a cell color in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
patrickeo

[Solved] Matching a cell color in Calc

Post by patrickeo »

OK, have tried everything I can think of but found no solution. I am trying to figure out the color of a cell so I can add it to my palette. Please help me. It cannot be this difficult. I am using a spreadsheet with validity drop down selections. I cannot just use the brush because the validity disappears. I need to add it to my color palette. How do I identify either the color name (if there is one) or the RGB code or any code really. I am positive someone else has encountered this issue as well.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun May 10, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 bit.
FJCC

Re: matching a cell color in Calc

Post by FJCC »

Does this work? Select the cell and then go to the menu Format -> Cells. On the Background tab the name of the color should be displayed under to color palette and the corresponding color tile should have a (faint) dotted border.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

How do I identify either the color name (if there is one) or the RGB code or any code really.
There is an extension named RGB. Try it.

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/rgb
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
patrickeo

Post by patrickeo »

FJCC wrote:Does this work? Select the cell and then go to the menu Format -> Cells. On the Background tab the name of the color should be displayed under to color palette and the corresponding color tile should have a (faint) dotted border.
Actually tried that for the same reason you mentioned.....but the window pops up and I do see the color of the cell but nothing is highlighted and no name is listed, instead, it says "No Fill".
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

patrickeo wrote: I am trying to figure out the color of a cell so I can add it to my palette.
If the color was applied using a style, look in the style's Organizer dialog to see the RGB colors. If the color was applied using direct formatting, create a style, say Foo, from the selection first, then look at Foo's Organizer dialog. The RGB extension may have useful features, but I don't need it to determine a cell's color.
patrickeo wrote:I do see the color of the cell but nothing is highlighted and no name is listed, instead, it says "No Fill".
Yes, for the Background dialog to show you a color, the color must match one in the palette. Once you know the RGB values you can create a matching palette color in the OpenOffice → Colors option. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms. But if all you want to do is set another cell to the same color as the one you chose, select the other cell and apply the Foo style. This sets the color, whether it is in the palette or not.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
patrickeo

Post by patrickeo »

Nothing is working so far.....going to keep trying...has to be a way.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Have you tried the extension mentioned by Zizi64?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The extension RGB can determine and show the RGB value of the background color of the selected cell.
RGB.png
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun May 10, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Matching a cell color in Calc

Post by Villeroy »

Installing https://libreoffice.org/ solves this and a whole lot more problems.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
patrickeo

Re: Matching a cell color in Calc

Post by patrickeo »

This issue has been Solved! Used the RGB extension and it worked like a charm! Thank all of you people for your input!