[Solved] Page with 2 frames does not print

Discuss the word processor
Villeroy
Volunteer

[Solved] Page with 2 frames does not print

Post by Villeroy »

The attached file looks OK in print preview but prints a blank sheet of paper. The only warning is the empty preview in the printer dialog. If I want to print it on paper, I have to export PDF and print that. What's wrong with it? It is the result of a mail merge but the original document has the same problem.
Tested with OpenOffice 4.1, LIbreOffice 6.0, 6.4 on Linux
Attachments
2Frames_out.odt
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu May 07, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: Page with 2 frames does not print

Post by RoryOF »

In print dialog, on OpenOffice Writer tab, try checking "Pictures and other graphic objects".
 Edit: The frames seem to be set up by direct formatting, and don't respond well to modification of the Frame Style. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RoryOF wrote:In print dialog, on OpenOffice Writer tab, try checking "Pictures and other graphic objects".
 Edit: The frames seem to be set up by direct formatting, and don't respond well to modification of the Frame Style. 
I removed the border from the style. The border makes no difference. It's not wrapping nor anchor nor z-order.
Anchor as character makes a difference.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Confirmed, with Print graphics and objects turned on.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

floris v wrote:Confirmed, with Print graphics and objects turned on.
When did I turn off that option and why? It was turned off and I can print the frames with any anchor setting if it is on. However, the frames do print when I anchor them as character while "print images and objects" is off.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Strange that it should have been turned off. Printing when anchored as character - I assume that for some reason this tags the frame internally in the file as a character, and hence applies character printing permissions/protocols to it. A look with MRI might be revealing - but I am now going to bed!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote:The attached file looks OK in print preview but prints a blank sheet of paper. The only warning is the empty preview in the printer dialog.
Does the same with LO 6.3.5.2.

Adding some text out of the frames prints the added text but not the frames.

Note that r-click a frame > Frame > Options > shows Print is ticked. Unticking and re-ticking did not fix it.

The only time it prints is when Anchored AS a character.
RoryOF wrote:In print dialog, on OpenOffice Writer tab, try checking "Pictures and other graphic objects".
That fixes it!

I then used AOO and created a new, empty text document. Insert > File ..., and pulled in the file. Both frames then printed.

So, my bet is the mail merge unticked it in the .odt file. Strangely, doing the usual "remove tangles by inserting the problem document into a clean new document" worked its usual magic and the print dialog "Pictures and other graphic objects" was now ticked.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote:However, the frames do print when I anchor them as character while "print images and objects" is off.
That could be because Anchoring AS a character actually defines the frame as a character, and not a frame, so the character prints.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.