Saved document page jumps

Discuss the word processor
Tomipmi

Saved document page jumps

Post by Tomipmi »

Hello, apologies if this is in the wrong place, i'm a forum virgin. open office 4.1.7 Windows 10.
I have a document that I am continously adding to, it has text and images that I have captured on greenshot, every time I open it the pages have changed, I have the pages numbered, and for instance the page that yesterday was 117 is now 119.
Obviously this is a problem as each day I print the new pages.
Does anyone know how to resolve this issue please?
openoffice 4.1.7 windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Saved document page jumps

Post by RoryOF »

Save in .odt format and allow time for page layout to stabilise - it may take a little time with large files incorporating images.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Tomipmi

Post by Tomipmi »

It has always been saved as .odt, but it jumps every time, it takes me an hour every time I open the doc to reorganize it.It seems to be the images of greenshot, I am going to ask them. In the mean time I Will try today when I close to maybe insert a box and paste the img in there and see what happens tomorrow.
Thanks anyway.
openoffice 4.1.7 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may depend on how you anchor your images. Perhaps anchor them to Page, rather than to Paragraph.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer. Be certain to read Items 11, 11A, 12, 13 and 16.

If you Anchor to a paragraph (which is the default when you paste - and don't paste photos!) make sure only image is anchored to each paragraph and make sure the anchor and image are close. Or, as RoryOF says, Anchor to the page.

When you open a large document AOO stops responding for a short while but, after that, you can start editing. However, AOO is working hard in the background laying out the document and during this time, which could be 30 minutes for a very large document, the page count (at bottom left) will be changing.

If you have many images which may spill to the next page, or lots of footnotes, it can take 30 minutes before the document is laid out. If you then add half a page of text to, say, page 5, then every page after page 5 has to be laid out again and AOO might take another 30 minutes.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.