Custom Footnote style and Footnote Character style

Discuss the word processor
nunof32

Custom Footnote style and Footnote Character style

Post by nunof32 »

Hello,

Would appreciate some help with the following issue.

The standard Footnote style (a paragraph style) makes use of the standard Footnote Character style (a character style) to control the appearance of the footnote reference character, i.e. the character that is automatically inserted at the start of the footnote.

For some footnotes, I need to use a customized Footnote style (leaving the standard Footnote style unchanged since I need it for other footnotes).

As for the footnotes that are formatted with the myFootnote style I also want to customize the appearance of the footnote reference character I have also defined a myFootnote Character style (leaving the standard Footnote Character style unchanged).

Issue : is there a way to inform the myFootnote style that it should use the myFootnote Character style for the formatting of the footnote reference character instead of the standard Footnote Character style ?

Thanks in advance for your patience reading the above and for any help that may be available.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 with MacOS X 10.13.6
RoryOF

Re: Custom Footnote style and Footnote Character style

Post by RoryOF »

Use the Endnote anchor and the Endnote style, customise these to your liking, and tell OO to put Endnotes at bottom of page instead of at end of chapter or book.
 Edit: This might not work - am not sure if one can place Endnotes at page bottom; certainly one can place them at end of document, chapter or OO Section. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nunof32

Post by nunof32 »

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I compromise the Endnote styles (which, fortunately, I do not use) and keep the Footnote styles unchanged. Then I will try to make my Endnotes appear like Footnotes (but that, in my particular case, is more of a nice-to-have than a real need).

I'll give a try, certainly. Curious to see what the numbering is going to look like.

Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 with MacOS X 10.13.6
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Open the sidebar/styles and formatting/paragraph styles
right click in the list of styles to create a new customised style
or use an existing style

When the footnote paragraph is selected and a style in the list is clicked it will be set to that style - including the footnote number
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can define MyFootnote paragraph style, based on Footnote paragraph style, and Myfootnote anchor based on Footnote anchor character style; you will need to enter your footnotes in the normal way, then manually change the Footnote style to MyFootnote style, and the anchor to MyAnchor style. If the numbering sequence needs to change, you can enter manual numbering when you enter the footnote.

See the attached file for a quick example.
Attachments
footnote.odt
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS