Portrait and Landscape Orientation in one doc

Discuss the word processor
valewmo11

Portrait and Landscape Orientation in one doc

Post by valewmo11 »

I'm so frustrated!!! It should not be this difficult to create a document with both portrait and landscape orientations in it. This is simple to do in Word. While I appreciate OpenOffice, I just can't understand why it will not do this simple task. I read that I could:
1) place a manual page break at the spot where I wanted the different page orientation;
2) go to the spot where I needed it to change back and basically do the same thing;
3) then change back to default.

This is NOT working. It either changes the entire document to portrait or landscape, doesn't keep the change where I am putting it.

Can anyone help me? Or does this program just NOT do this?

Deadline I won't make because I can't do this! If you can help quickly, I'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
openoffice 4.1.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Portrait and Landscape Orientation in one doc

Post by Zizi64 »

You must create and apply different Page Styles.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

By barking the limits of the page orientation change with inserted page breaks you are on the correct track. Change the page style used for the horizontal pages to some different style from the surrounding pages - there is a predefined "Landscape" style.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

valewmo11 wrote:1) place a manual page break at the spot where I wanted the different page orientation;
Not quite. Simply inserting a manual page break keeps the same page style for the next page. Since the page orientation is defined in the page style, the next page will also keep the same orientation. When you insert the manual page break, there is an option on the Break dialog to change the page style to a different page style where you can change the page orientation without affecting pages before the page break.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See attached file. You need to insert the Landscape Page Style after a page break. Go Insert > Manual break > select Page break and set Landscape.

After you have finished with landscape, insert another page break and use the Default portrait page style. Formatting pages is described in Chapter 4.
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date AOO Writer for Students and the Writer User Guide. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
landscape.odt
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Try Tutorial on Page styles and headers/footers. And remember to save in odt format.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum