[Solved] Picture directory in booklet form

Discuss the word processor
Tjones2033

[Solved] Picture directory in booklet form

Post by Tjones2033 »

I want to produce a picture directory of about 20 pages. I did this last year with Microsoft Publisher, but I want to use Open Office this year. Is it suitable for this project?
I believe that I've found a suitable template, but I'll have to add pages. I know the booklet will contain text and text boxes and alot of pictures. Will I be able to do the project entirely in Writer or will I need Draw to insert pictures?
Last edited by Tjones2033 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Picture directory in booklet form

Post by robleyd »

That should be do-able with Writer. You should read [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for best practices when using images in OpenOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Note:
the AOO/LO Writer is a quasi equivalent of the MS Word - with similar features. The Publisher is in a different category of the documentation softwares - it has different features.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Tjones2033 wrote: I did this last year with Microsoft Publisher, but I want to use Open Office this year. Is it suitable for this project?
That will depend on your project. OpenOffice is not designed to replace Publisher. Microsoft Publisher is a desktop publishing application. OpenOffice is not. You may have better success with Scribus, which is another desktop publishing application.
Tjones2033 wrote:I know the booklet will contain text and text boxes and alot of pictures.
You may also want a picture editor unless your operating system supplies one. A picture editor is a raster graphics (pixel) tool. OpenOffice Draw is not a picture editor because it is a vector graphics tool. Vector graphics store and display a picture as simple geometric elements such as lines, circles, and polygons rather than as a collection of pixels (points on the screen). A picture editor will allow you to crop, retouch, resize, apply filters, correct colors, control transparency, etc. Dozens of raster graphics tools are available, some free, some not.
robleyd wrote:That should be do-able with Writer.
Seven years ago I attempted to produce our club newsletter in Writer. It was possible, but difficult, mainly because I needed to focus on page layout, mixing text and graphics. The subsequent newsletters in Scribus were much easier because I was using the correct tool for the job.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).