[Solved] Type letters with accents (French)

Discuss the word processor
JeanWilson

[Solved] Type letters with accents (French)

Post by JeanWilson »

I have had Open Office for two months. I am learning French but don't know how to put in accents on my letters. Could someone advise me please?
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: Special characteristics; added [Solved], green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Lenovo Think Pad - I downloaded Open Office 2 months ago
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Special characteristics

Post by jrkrideau »

What operating system and what is your normal typing language and keyboard layout?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Type letters with accents (French)

Post by Bill »

If you're using a US English keyboard on Windows, try searching Google and YouTube for US international keyboard. You should find instructions that tell how to change the keyboard layout to US international and how to add accents when using the US international keyboard layout.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
JeanWilson

Post by JeanWilson »

Hello - sorry I am not very computer literate. Would the operating system be Windows 10? That's what I have. Normal typing language? - am not sure - English? Keyboard layout? once again am not sure what you mean usual qwerty keyboard with F1 - 12 at the top. Sorry is that any help? Jean
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Windows 10 is an Operating System. In which country was the computer purchased - USA or UK, or elsewhere? Which language do you normally write in?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeanWilson

Post by JeanWilson »

Thank you for your message - I bought the computer reconditioned from a company in England 2 months ago, its a Lenovo Think Pad and I write everything in English English - Jean
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Plenty of topics on the web, see for example: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-type-f ... ts-1372770

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

JeanWilson wrote: English
Exactly what I meant, thanks.
Keyboard layout? once again am not sure what you mean usual qwerty keyboard with F1 - 12 at the top.

Again, just what was wanted.

I have not used Windows in years so i do not know how hard it is to change keyboard layouts but IIRC it is a pain. If a lot of your typing is going to be in French you might want to consider moving to a French-Canadian keyboard layout.
FCKEY.png
FCKEY.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
It has a QWERTY layout with a few minor changes that deals with the accents very easily and it has the advantage that it is fine for typing English. I used a French-Canadian keyboard layout at work for 8--9 years while mainly working in English with no problem.

About the only annoyances I can see is that you need to use a Right-Alt key to get a £ symbol and I have no idea where the € sign is.

Bill's suggestion of a US international keyboard will work well but my experience is that a dedicated French-Canadian keyboard is more convenient. Just having al É key is worth it.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
JeanWilson

Post by JeanWilson »

Thank you so much for your prompt replies, I now know in what direction to go - Jean
JeanWilson

Post by JeanWilson »

This has been solved
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Type letters with accents (French)

Post by RoryOF »

It might be helpful to others if you indicated what path you adopted for a solution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS