Want pagination to start 2nd page

Discuss the word processor
Lawrence14505

Want pagination to start 2nd page

Post by Lawrence14505 »

Trying to paginate a document so the pagination begins on page 2, and "1" is not printed on the first page. I can do this with other word processor programs. Is this possible??

I'd also like to select the number to begin with, so when I print the 2nd part of a document it will start at "37", or whatever.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
FJCC

Re: want pagination to start 2nd page

Post by FJCC »

Yes, you can start the page numbering on the second page. The way to do that is to have different page style for the first page than for subsequent pages. There is some information about how to do that in this tutorial and the tutorial that is linked from there.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Lawrence14505

Post by Lawrence14505 »

This seems REALLY complicated - no simple box to check the way it was with Microsoft Word. Is it really that hard to make it simple?
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

It is not complicated if you understand styles. I can do it in seconds. The hurdle for many MS Office users is that they are not used to applying styles and it takes a while to get accustomed to that method of working. As with any change in tools, it is a bother at first. I had to use Excel the other day for the first time in years and it really made my head hurt. I used it a lot at one time but it still felt clumsy and foreign.

Short version of the instructions:
Set a page style for the first page that does not include the header/footer where you plan to put the page number.
At the end of the text of the first page, insert a page break that includes a change in page style to the style that does include the header/footer.
Insert the page number field on the second page.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.