Spell checker hangs

Discuss the spreadsheet application
kattiesh

Spell checker hangs

Post by kattiesh »

Hi,
spell checker is consistently hanging for me, forcing me to restart open office calc and loose all progress on the document.
I've managed to create a minimal file with two spelling errors which can be used to reproduce the behavior, please find it attached.
I can change the spelling of the first word, but the application consistently stops responding when I try to fix the spelling for word 'travelling'.

I'm using open office 4.1.7 on Windows 10.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Kate
Attachments
error_sample.ods
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Spell checker hangs

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Using your file, the spelling errors showed up as underlined with a red wavy line, as expected.
Activating the Spell checker using the F7 key went through the document and made appropriate suggestions for the words that were misspelled.
Since I'm unable to reproduce the situation you have represented using the file you provided, I'm going to suggest that you try resetting your user profile.
Please read Profile reset on Windows 10 completely before going through the steps so that you realize what it is you are doing and other potential consequences of resetting your user profile.
I'm making this suggestion due to the fact that many unexpected and/or un-reproducable problems can be resolved in this manner.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the first post in the Writer forum for ways to diagnose the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
kattiesh

Post by kattiesh »

I've tried resetting my user profile. Went through the troubleshooting topic as well. The issue persists.
Is there any way to obtain some debug information that would be useful to diagnose the issue?
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When a document doesn't spellcheck, what language is shown in the middle of the Status Bar (bottom bar) of OpenOffice window.?

I don't think I have ever come across a case where resetting the User Profile didn't cure a spellcheck problem. After resetting the profile, were you prompted to enter name and initials on next use of OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try this document with UK and US English text.
Attachments
languages.odt
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

John_Ha's attachment works fine on my system, also noting the error in both sentences regarding the word "sentence" (without the quotation marks).

I don't know if it makes much, if any, difference, but the original post is in regards to the spell checking on a spreadsheet, not a Writer document.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.