[Issue] Impress notes page slide disappears

Discuss the presentation application
jmbates

[Issue] Impress notes page slide disappears

Post by jmbates »

Each time I type notes in the box using Impress, then save the file and close the program, when I open it again the slide is blank, but only under the notes page. The data is still there and still displays just fine under the normal view, but it is not present in the notes page. This is quite frustrating because I have to zoom in to see what I typed, then switch to the "normal" view to see the slide contents, then when I move on to the next slide I must switch back to notes page, zoom in again, switch to normal view again, etc. This gets cumbersome and annoying quick, especially the other day when I was looking at 40 or so presentations with about 60 slides each (I am a student). Does anyone know how I can remedy this? I would REALLY appreciate some help!

James
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
acknak

Re: impress notes page slide disappears

Post by acknak »

Are you saving as the native OOo ODF document format, or are you saving as MS Powerpoint format?

If you're using PPT format, try saving as ODF and see if the problem still occurs.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jmbates

Impress notes page issues

Post by jmbates »

That helped, however when they are saved as .odp, even though the slides are present the image quality is greatly reduced. At least the slides are present in this format, unlike in .ppt format where they are blank. I noticed the image quality actually improves if you switch from "notes page" to "normal" and then back again. When you move on to another slide and come back though, the image quality is once again reduced.

[See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 10&t=10067 for follow-up on this problem]
Last edited by acknak on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to split topic
Second_wave

Re: Impress notes page slide disappears

Post by Second_wave »

I have the same problem and saving the document under a different file does not work for me :( Same deal, Slides apear but once I go to notes, the slides above the notes dissapear, I can still see them on the slide select screen on the left but they are very small. How do I make they show up on TOP of the notes like they should.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Can you attach a sample file that you are having trouble with? Cut it down to one or two slides; that should be enough.

You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the "POST REPLY" message entry area). [Forum] How to attach a document here
jmbates

Post by jmbates »

Ok this file is a .ppt and you'll notice the slide is not visible in the notes page. I'll also put up a .odp file so you can see what's going on there too.
Attachments
sample1.ppt
(63.5 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I see the problem as well. It seems there have been problems with this in the past, but there are no open issues (that I see) now.

It would be great if you could report the problem, and include your sample file. [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

I can "fix" the problem simply by clicking on the layout object in the "Layout" panel at the right.

This problem doesn't happen with other PPT files I have; I don't know what the difference might be. Anything unusual about your file's history?
jmbates

Post by jmbates »

To my knowledge there is nothing particularly special about these files, but it does it with every single one. I've noticed it on at least 60 different files so it's pretty consistent, regardless of the author - and each one is made by a different person. Regarding their origin, the only thing they have in common (that I know of) is that they are all .ppt format to begin with and I have downloaded all of them from the university. I don't think it's an issue with the files though because other people that use PowerPoint do not have the same problem. I'll go ahead and report the problem when I get a chance.

I appreciate your help!
timrichardson

Post by timrichardson »

Thanks for the tip about clicking on Layout.
In Notes view I clicked in the Slides box, did a select all, then clicked on the Layout icon on the right, and the mini view of the slides re-appeared on all my Notes views.
OOo 2.4.X on Debian + Windows XP
imoppett

Post by imoppett »

Hi,

I too have the same problem. When a ppt is first opened in impress the notes pages are fine, but at some point the slide disappears off the notes pages. I think this only happens when saved as ppt, but resaving as odp does not resolve the issue. Clicking the layout button, sort of solves it, but the slide image is larger than the notes page and off to the left. It is inevitable that people will want to save with the ppt format as very few conference venues are openofficed yet.

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated.

Iain
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nothing has changed; the "solution" is still the same: work around it.

Until someone finds a file or set of circumstances that consistently triggers the problem, and submits an issue report, nothing is likely to change.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Seems to be a bug. You should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue): Issue 71329 - slides not visible in notes view.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Re: [Issue] Impress notes page slide disappears

Post by acknak »

Nice, Hagar! Thanks for tracking that down; it certainly looks like the same issue.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've also found that one, does it apply: [Solved] Notes view in Impress?
imoppett

Post by imoppett »

Thanks, folks,

The workaround seems to work. As regards what makes it happen: saving as powerpoint (ppt) makes it happen most of the time, but not every time. I've saved the same file (originally created as a ppt on windows / MSoffice) four times in succession using ooo impress on linux. The problem occurred on the second and fourth saves.

I'd be happy to submit this as a bug report if I knew how!
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

imoppett wrote:I'd be happy to submit this as a bug report if I knew how!
Hagar de l'Est wrote:You should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue): Issue 71329 - slides not visible in notes view.
bilbug

Post by bilbug »

I stumbled across this thread while searching for a fix. I have had the exact same problem with slide pix disappearing on the Notes view. I tried the procedure noted above with only temporary results. Saving and using the file only in odp seems to be the only way of avoiding this problem. This is unfortunate, though, since not every computer on which I might want to use the presentation is going to have OO; as was indicated PPt is still the norm/standard, like it or not, and is the most commonly found presentation program.

This seems like a very odd anomaly since only 1/2 the slides pix on the Notes disappear; 1/2 the Notes contain the appropriate slides (it is usually the top 1/2 of the Notes that comes up blank).

I have already voted, as noted in Hagar's email. What more in terms of info needs to be submitted to get this anomaly fixed?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can add a comment to the issue if you think there is some information missing that may be helpful, but probably the best thing is just to add your user name to the "CC" list so that you get an email whenever the state of the issue changes. If the developers add a request for information, you'll see it in an email and you can respond with a comment on the issue if you have the information they need.

Do be patient: there are many, many outstanding issues and the developers must decide what issues have the highest priority. It may be a high priority for you, but not so high in the broad scope of OOo.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:the best thing is just to add your user name to the "CC" list so that you get an email whenever the state of the issue changes.
Aren't you automatically added to the subscribed users when you vote for a report?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good question. I don't remember... Looks like the answer is 'no.' I just added a vote to an issue but I'm still not on the Cc list.