Error message

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jon80
Banned

Error message

Post by jon80 »

I was trying to solve some economic problems, admitting I am far off from the international goal, however, I have spread out some calculations that are based on the security value of a fund for demonstration that it can be turned to a finance system.
The issue I have at the moment is my confusion in reading an error instead of the validation when I key in the formula, is this something that ought to be changed in the software?

Account Holder [name surname identity] Collateral market security $20,000,000.00
Fiduciary [attorney held]
Blocked [order reference and amount blocked by garnishee]
Held on account Balances

Date Transaction information Debit Credit Balance Collateral Note
31/12/2020 Deposit-fiduciary 1 1 Err:508
Balance results in an error because I ask for text markers as indicators such as writing out a status code e.g. Green/Warn as text field, the formula field is observed not to process information in quote [' '] or in other form of indication that the text is to be coded as it was specified.

I wrote: =IF(H1>E7, 'green', 'warn'), that should be self-explanatory, right?

EUR USD BTC GBP
Capital 1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]
Recurrent 0.1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]
Contingent 1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]
Debt instruments 1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]
Bond 1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]
Shares 1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]
Collateral 1 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation] 0.000000 [requires calculation]

Notes
Distribution of notes through account management at interest charged, money held in trust at interest earned.
Collateral security based on the values of assets held or held in fiduciary.
Trade-able value of securities is based on valuation of the security at initial funding price, and at market price.
Taxation will be paid out of payment and management and administrative charge retained for administrative services with minimum charge on walk-in request.
External links with different financial institutions and supervisory banks require trading policy to be agreed between institutions by protocol.
Values are hypothetical and are estimated in trillions of units.
Egoism and security balanced policies need to have a philosophical balance against issues related to social responsibility that is political and not apolitical.
Exchange rates will include percentile points for profit on exchange rate, and, fiscal considerations absorbed.
Popluation growth as a statistical measure of political responsibility.

You might want to help me setup an investment company as well if you wish.
Jon
Open Office 3 on Win XP SP 3
RusselB

Re: Error message

Post by RusselB »

Is your formula returning the ERR:508?
If so, change the commas (,) to semi-colons (;). OpenOffice uses semi-colons as parameter separators, not commas.
You also have your text responses in single quotes (') to double quote (")
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jon80
Banned

Post by jon80 »

Good option, however, I still wonder why this syntax does not seem to validate:
=IF(H1>E7; 'green'; 'warn')

It looks like a vague error message to me at this stage, I think I am temporarily lost today apologies.
Jon
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Use double quotes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RusselB wrote:OpenOffice uses semi-colons as parameter separators, not commas.
AOO uses semi-colons as parameter separators.

LO uses commas and converts typed semi-colons to commas.

AOO and LO are diverging quite rapidly.
Attachments
Clipboard02.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jon80
Banned

Post by jon80 »

Thank you.
Jon
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What version of LO does it?

I never noticed such behavior in my LO 6.2.8 or older versions either with Englis nor Hungarian locale settings user interface settings.
The Default separator character of my LO is the semicolon.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jon80
Banned

Post by jon80 »

I don't think this datum is very relevant, I have a very [url="https://www.speedtest.net/"]price-value[/url]in-stable internet connection when the wires are off I will look for math and finance formulae, hoping to improve certain [url="https://www.chase.com/"]models[/url] in their personalization it is a very difficult question apparently.

Thank you for syntactical support.
Jon
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

John_Ha wrote:AOO uses semi-colons as parameter separators.
AOO and LO are diverging quite rapidly.
The second line is not quite correct.
LibreOffice made the default parameter separator depending on the locale a while ago: For locales using the point as their decimal separator, the comma is put in the role of the parameter separator. They obviously did it to be "better compatible with Excel" where still many users not fond of thinking much get their suggested formulas from. Informed users change the comma then to semicolon again via option settings.
The separators used for inline constant arrays are a related topic. ('5.13 Inline Arrays' of OASIS documents OpenDocument-v1.2-part2 and OpenDocument-v1.3-cs01-part4-formula as well give the separators used when writing to the file. Original state was consistend and made the same characters mandatory for the UI. Silly localization messed it up.) In this case, however, the situation is worse: The pair of ";" and "|" is replaced by "," and ";" depening on the locale by default. Since the semicolon is used in both versions, but in different roles, this spoils everything, and makes impossible an easy way to re-enable global exchange. (Therefore I didn't include this part with my posts linked below. Inline arrays are rarely mentioned in related questions anyway.)

See this Q&A thread for more details: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/131311/.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, I've banned jon80 because of his last post.
I've checked his records and I'm wondering if his mail account has not been hacked for spam purpose.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10