[Solved] Parsing Text

Discuss the spreadsheet application
kjnMo

[Solved] Parsing Text

Post by kjnMo »

I finally found how to do this after I deciphered the instructions on a friend's Excel.

Parsing text with Open Office Calc;

1/ Put all text to be parsed in column A. Copy all entries into Column B. If you are parsing numbers, you need to change them to text by adding a letter after the number as you copy to column B. (Otherwise you will lose zeros).

2/ Select all entries in column B and Select Data > Text to Columns > Fixed Width
> At the bottom of the window move the red dot to show a line behind the first unit to parse
> OK

3/ Repeat 2 in column C, then D, etc.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is a solution without a question, so tagging as [Solved] so others can find it more easily
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Parsing Text

Post by MrProgrammer »

kjnMo wrote:If you are parsing numbers, you need to change them to text by adding a letter after the number as you copy to column B. (Otherwise you will lose zeros).
No. Do not modify the number. instead, mark every field as Text in the Text to Columns dialog. This is explained in the fourth paragraph of the tutorial.

[Tutorial] Text to Columns

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).