[Solved] Operation started with an invalid parameter

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mallomar

[Solved] Operation started with an invalid parameter

Post by mallomar »

Windows 10 crashed (BSOD) while I had several Calc files open. I got that automatic recovery menu, and was able to recover most of the files, but I can't resave any of them. I get this message:

The operation on [path/filename] was started with an invalid parameter.

I am NOT a technically knowledgeable person. I tried copying the contents of the files and pasting into other programs (Text and notepad) but got the same error message when trying to save the files. Could save those files, but when I copied them into a new Calc file, couldn't save.

I've also discovered that I can't open any of my older Calc files.

I'm in a total panic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to close the calc files and restart my laptop because I'm afraid I'll lose any chance of recovering my Calc files (and I have a boatload of them -- many of them were backed up recently but I've done a lot of work on some of them in the past couple of days and had not yet backed up those).

I do have an ancient version of MS Office (2007) on another computer, so I could transfer some of my unsave-able files to that computer and see if I can open and save them in MS Office, but I suspect my version of MS Office is too old to open them.

I could install OpenOffice on my other computer, though, and try that, but I suspect it won't work. Also, I read somewhere that OO has been discontinued. Is that true?

I looked for temp files, but frankly I don't know what I'm doing. The only temp files I found weren't OO files. AFAIK, I don't have any kind of auto backup thing running. I don't know anything about those.

TIA for any advice.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.0 on Mac OX 10.6
mallomar

Re: The operation on [path/filename] was started with an inv

Post by mallomar »

Okay, I think my problem is fixed, at least for now. I got a notification that told me to "Restart to repair drive errors." (I assume that was related to the BSOD.)

Anyway, after I restarted, I was able to recover most of the Calc files I tried. A few gave me a "recovery failed" message, but I was able to fiddle with those files and get them to open.

So I'm hoping my OO issue is resolved, and I can move on to the BSOD issue. If any one thinks I do need to fix something in OO, please let me know. Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Mac OX 10.6
Rob Visser

Re: [Solved] Operation started with an invalid parameter

Post by Rob Visser »

On my pc restoring disc did not work. The solution that worked for me
-copy the file to another filename or map
-open the other file
-if it can be opened: delete the old file and move the file to the proper map.
Rob Visser
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10