[Solved] Why has my document turned horizontal?

Discuss the word processor
Phil Birch

[Solved] Why has my document turned horizontal?

Post by Phil Birch »

For the second time recently, a document has turned into landscape mode by itself with only a paragraph on each page and the text going vertically. I have tried turning it back to vertical format, but the problem of one paragraph per page remains and the writing's still vertical. Hopefully an image of my problem is attached here. I have copied all the text into notepad and copied it back into Writer, but with 27000 words, its a big job re formatting the headings and chapters. Why does it happen, how can I prevent it and how can i undo it when it does?

While writing the same document strange symbols like chinese letters and question marks inside a black diamond appear where dialog is supposed to be. It's a big job changing it all and sometimes it all comes back.
screenie.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Phil. Open office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Why has my document turned horizontal?

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Please attach/upload a copy of your actual file, rather than a screenshot.
Actual files contain a lot of information that is lost via a screenshot.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

.rtf files are truly awful.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You will find this document be informative on using Styles in Writer:
Writer for students (several languages)

This document will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whi ... th_OOo.odt
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I can reproduce the effect by selecting the text and Format > Character > Position ..., and setting the rotation to 90 degrees. I too found that after just a few lines a new page was created but I did not investigate this further.
 Edit: The new page is created following an end of paragraph mark 
You should

1. Stop using .rtf. Save the file as a .odt and work in .odt from here on.
2. Check if the Default text style has been set to 90 degrees - if so reset it to 0 degrees.
3. If not, Select all and set the rotation to 0 degrees.
Clipboard01.gif
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
rotated.odt
File with text rotated to 90 degrees
(13.63 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Never use the RTF file format for any important documents. There is a reason that a warning is displayed when saving files in the RFT format instead of the ODT format. RTF files produced by AOO are much larger than ODT files, take much longer to open than ODT files and can't save all formatting supported by ODT files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Phil Birch

Post by Phil Birch »

'
RoryOF wrote:You will find this document be informative on using Styles in Writer:
Writer for students (several languages)

This document will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whi ... th_OOo.odt
I did as you said and its back to normal again. Such a simple solution. But one I wish I didnt have to do.
Phil. Open office 4.1.7 on Windows 10