[Solved] Table of Content - each entry on one line please?

Discuss the word processor
Azirithdorr

[Solved] Table of Content - each entry on one line please?

Post by Azirithdorr »

Hello and thanks for reading,

Completely new to anything beyond the most basics.

I'm trying to do a Table of Contents within a document. I have successfully added an entry, created the table, etc. My entry has, let's say, 20 instances throughout my document.

When I generate my table, it lists each instance of the entry on a separate line ( with a page number ). Is there a way to make it only list the entry once followed by each page it appears on that same line? In other words, to make each entry only one line long.

Thank you very much and sorry for the newb question!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Table of Content - each entry on one line please?

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload a small, ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You need an Alphabetical Index, not a Table of Contents. In a Table of Contents each entry in on a separate line in order of appearance in the document so there is no option to combine identical entries. An Alphabetical Index does have an option to combine entries on one line.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Azirithdorr

Post by Azirithdorr »

Bill wrote:You need an Alphabetical Index, not a Table of Contents. In a Table of Contents each entry in on a separate line in order of appearance in the document so there is no option to combine identical entries. An Alphabetical Index does have an option to combine entries on one line.
Ah, thank you very much - I'll do that :D
Azirithdorr

Post by Azirithdorr »

OK - thanks very much to Bill for the quick answer!

One more question then along the same line: I'm doing an Alphabetical Index rather than the ToC, but the AI is only listing a few of the pages with "..." between them - I assume indicating more entries. Is there a way to make all relevant pages appear? ( see image below for example)

"Snake Eyes...........................................1, 4, 9, 12pp., 20pp., 28"

In this case, there are entries between pages 12 and 20 not listed that I would like to be able to see.

Again, thank you very much for reading!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the Index/Table tab of the edit index screen, uncheck "combine identical entries" and "combine identical entries with p or pp"

Read your screens and try to understand what the entries are telling you. There is also a Help button on that screen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS