[Solved] Why these horizontal lines?

Discuss the word processor
Uhura

[Solved] Why these horizontal lines?

Post by Uhura »

I am trying to type something. But every time use the 'enter' key, it not only goes to the next line down but there is this horizontal line that keeps appearing.

So if I type a few words and then want to use the enter to skip a few things, there is a line for every time. This just started happening in the middle of what I had been typing. I had no problem for several pages and now it won't stop with these lines. I don't want to do anything with margins or bullet or anything like that. I am just wanting to type a simple thing and use the 'Enter' key when I want to type something on the next line.

How can I get it to stop making these lines?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5
RoryOF

Re: Why these horizontal lines?

Post by RoryOF »

Set up your Paragraph Styles correctly. See
Writer for students (several languages)
for helpful information.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I don't get any such lines. Upload a document demonstrating the problem. [Forum] How to attach a document here
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable. They are probably paragraph borders.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Press CTRL+M after hitting Enter. This removes direct formatting that has been inherited from the previous paragraph. Does the line disappear in the new paragraph?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Uhura

Post by Uhura »

Thanks Bill, so far CTRL +M seems to have worked.
Open Office 4.1.5